Program Mission and Goals
The mission of the Didactic Program in Dietetics is to prepare students for supervised practice leading to eligibility for the Commission for Dietetic Registration credentialing exam to become a registered dietitian nutritionist. The Didactic Program in Dietetics is committed to transmit knowledge and skills at the undergraduate level that are needed for competent dietetics practice to improve the quality of life in diverse communities.
The Didactic Program in Dietetics at San José State University has established two goals:
The program will prepare graduates to be competent for entry into supervised practice or other post-graduate programs through quality educational offerings.
- Objective 1: The program’s one-year pass rate (graduates who pass the registration exam within one year of first attempt) on the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists is at least 80 percent.
- Objective 2: Fifty percent of program graduates will apply for admission to a supervised practice program prior to or within 12 months of graduation.
- Objective 3: Forty percent of program graduates are admitted to a supervised practice program within 12 months of graduation.
- Objective 4: Supervised practice program directors will rate their overall satisfaction with the graduate’s preparation for supervised practice as at least 3.0 on a 5.0 scale for at least 70 percent of the graduates.
- Objective 5: At least 80 percent of program students complete program/degree requirements within three years (150 percent of the program length).
- Objective 6: 80 percent of graduates will receive a rating of satisfactory or above in the academic preparation and overall performance evaluation by the field experience supervisors.
The program will prepare graduates to be multi-culturally competent through experiential learning experiences and contribute to improving the quality of life in diverse communities.
- Objective 1: At least 50 percent of graduates who complete the requirements of the dietetics program indicate they can work effectively with culturally diverse populations in a variety of settings.
- Objective 2: At least 50 percent of graduates will have participated in a global experience through educational offerings to gain intercultural perspective.
Program outcomes data is available upon request from the DPD Director.