Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
The Valley Foundation School of Nursing offers a program for individuals seeking a Bachelor's of Science degree in nursing. The baccalaureate program prepares the individual for professional nursing practice in a variety of acute care and community settings, and for continuing education and graduate studies. The program also accepts individuals seeking a second bachelor's degree.
Applying to the Program
For current announcements, please visit the Nursing home page.
Nursing is an impacted major, which means that all new freshmen and transfer students need to satisfy supplemental criteria. In order to be accepted into the baccalaureate nursing program, students must complete a multi-step process.
Students must complete the following to be eligible for admission to the BSN program:
- San Jose State University application
- TEAS test
- School of Nursing application on NursingCAS
- Prerequisite Courses
- The Writing Skills Test will no longer be required for Spring 2021 and after.
These prerequisite courses must be completed before applying to the School of Nursing:
- BIOL 65 Human Anatomy*
- BIOL 66 Human Physiology*
- MICR 20 General Bacteriology*
- ENGL 1A First Year Writing
- STAT 95 Elementary Statistics
- COMM 20 Public Speaking
- CHEM 30A Introductory Chemistry
- Area A3 Critical Thinking Course
*Courses must be completed within 5 years of the application deadline and passed with a C or better.
These co-requisite courses may be in-progress at the time of application submission:
- CHAD 70 Lifespan Development in the 21st Century
- PSYC 1 Introduction to Psychology
- NUFS 8 Nutrition for Health Professions
Completing the Applications
The university application is completed online on the CalState Apply website.
Transfer students- select the major: PRE-NURSING, UNDECLARED.
Prior baccalaureate students- first select: Seeking Second Bachelor's Degree.
Then, select the major: PRE-NURSING, UNDECLARED.
The nursing program application is completed online on the NursingCAS website.
Please refer to the BSN Information Packet for instructions on how to apply.
Applying for Fall 2021:
University Application October 1-November 30
NursingCAS Application Mid January-February 15
Applicants will be informed of decision by department approximately end of April.
*Applying for Spring 2021:
University Application August 1-31
NursingCAS Application August 17-September 30
Applicants will be informed of decision by department at approximately end of November.
*Only current SJSU students or students seeking a second bachelor's degree may apply for spring semesters.
Prospective Student Advising
Additionally, it is highly recommended that prospective students attend a future student advising session to prepare for the application process. A recording of the most recent advising
session is available here.
Prospective Student Information and Forms
IMPORTANT PLEASE READ:BSN Information Packet (UPDATED 6-2020)
- Substitution Form pdf
- Substitution Form (fillable form)
- Functional Competencies Form
- Advising Slides-UPDATED FOR JUNE 2020
- Program Course of Study for Fall 2020
- New BSN Road Map for Fall 2020
- BSN Road Map (For Spring 2020 and earlier)
- Military Member Applicants
- TVFSON FAQs-UPDATED FOR JUNE 2020
- BSN Nursing Student Handbook 2019-2020
- SJSU Admissions
- SJSU Pre-Nursing Advising for current SJSU students.
- SJSU Academic Advising and Retention Services
- SJSU Articulation Agreements
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing at San Jose State University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
Still have questions? Feel free to contact the School of Nursing here.