|Return to Markham website||Return
Legacy of Poetry
Markham's house originally located near the SJSU campus at 432 South 8th Street. It was moved to History Park San Jose in the late 1980s and is presently the headquarters of Poetry Center San Jose. In 1929, Dr. Henry Meade Bland published a poem about the hours. Dr. Bland had worked to preserve the home and for some time in the 1920s and 1930s (and perhaps later), it was used as a "health cottage" for students.
There is a plaque (on a large rock) at the original location of the house (near the Child Development Center):
This is Mr. Markham's "placement card" maintained by the California State Normal School. These cards tracked the graduation and movement/career of the graduates.
Courtesy of Special Collections & Archives, San Jose State University. Reproduced with permission courtesy of the Special Collections & Archives, San Jos� State University Library.
The Markham plaque on the west side of Tower Hall.
Click here for additional photos of Mr. Markham.
|This page last updated January 28, 2008||
Questions or comments? Please contact us at