I was interviewed as expert in the area of autonomous systems safety and published in the following media articles:
(Italian) Auto 21, Una società di consulenza ha guardato dentro ai sistemi di guida autonoma, March 2019, https://www.auto21.net/2019/03/16/pagelle-di-navigant-research-ai-sistemi-di-guida-autonoma-podio-waymo-gm-ford/
- TU Automotive, Aviation can Teach Driverless Tech Safety, Scholars Say, August 2018, https://www.tu-auto.com/aviation-can-teach-driverless-tech-safety-scholars-say/
- The Wall Street Journal, The Political Backlash Against Tech: Good, Bad, and Ugly, April 2018, https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-political-backlash-against-tech-good-bad-and-ugly-1522860360
- Wired Magazine, The Loose-Loose Ethics of Testing Self-Driving Cars in Public, March 2018, https://www.wired.com/story/lose-lose-ethics-self-driving-public/
- The Verge, Facebook’s first flight ended with a reckless landing, aviation experts say, Dec 2016, https://www.theverge.com/2016/12/20/14029580/facebook-aquila-drone-crash-aviation-experts-criticism
- 07/20/2019: The paper Participant Perception and HMI Preferences During Simulated AV Disengagements was presented at the International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics.
- 06/30/2019: The paper Quality of control takeover following disengagements in semi-automated vehicles has been accepted for publication in the journal of Transportation Research Part F.
- 05/02/2019 I was honored with the "Excellence in Scholarship" award at the College of Engineering Gala for AY 2018-2019.
- 01/20/2019: I was interviewed for a special DoT briefing on research carried out at the University Transportation Centers. See the video here
- 08/24/2018: The proposal "Regional Planning and Regulatory Priorities for Integrating Drone Technology in Smart Cities" was accepted and awarded $61k in funds from the Senate Bill 1 of the State of California. This project is managed by the Mineta Transportation Institute.
- 08/23/2018: The paper Hazard Monitoring for Particle Swarm Motion of Autonomous Vehicles has been accepted for presentation at IEEE GESSC, green energy and smart systems conference, Long Beach, October 2018.
- 08/22/2018: The proposal "Impact of Smart Phones' Interaction Modality on Driving Performance for Conventional and Autonomous Vehicles" was accepted and awarded $73k in funds from the US Department of Transportation (US DoT grant 69A3551747127). This project is managed by the Mineta Transportation Institute.
- 06/30/2018: The paper The “Human” Problem of Semi-Autonomous Vehicles: Understanding Drivers’ Reactions to Off-Nominal Scenarios has been accepted for publication in the International Journal of Human-Computer Interactions.
- 01/28/2018: The paper Autonomous Vehicles Disengagements: Trends, Triggers, and Regulatory Limitations has been accepted for publication in Accident Analysis and Prevention.
- 07/31/2017: The proposal "Drivers Reactions to Autopilot’s Disengagements, and Regulatory Implications for Semi-Autonomous Vehicles" was accepted and awarded $74k in funds from the US Department of Transportation (US DoT grant 69A3551747127). This project is managed by the Mineta Transportation Institute.
- 06/09/2017: I was awarded a $5k grant from the Central-RSCA program of SJSU to support faculty research and development.
- 05/17/2017: I was awarded a seed grant of $5k as a part of the Emerging Leader Seed program from the Mineta Transportation Institute.
- 01/26/2017: I was selected as one of the seven CoE Research Professors for 2017, and awarded a grant of $36k as start-up fund for the RiSA2S lab.
- 01/10/2017: I received the FAA certification as Advanced Ground Instructor (AGI rating)
- 12/21/2016: I was selected through a competitive process at the university level as a member of 2017 University Grant Academy at SJSU.
- 12/20/2016: I was interviewed by The Verge with regards to the NTSB report's findings for the crash of Facebook's Aquila drone. Read full article.
- 11/06/2016: I received the FAA certification as Remote Pilot of sUAS for Commercial Operations under Part 107
- 08/22/2016: The paper Temporal Logic for System Safety Properties and Hazard Monitoring has been accepted for presentation at the PSAM13 conference, to be held in Seoul in October 2016.
- 05/30/2016: I accepted a position as Assistant Professor in the Department of Aviation and Technology of San Jose State University.
- 05/10/2016: The paper Towards Risk Assessment 2.0: Safety Supervisory control and model-based hazard monitoring for risk-informed safety interventions has been accepted for publication in Reliability Engineering and System Safety.
- 03/05/2016: I was invited by the Zonta International foundation to be honoured at a gala dinner at the Mighty 8th Air Force Museum in Savannah, GA, where I shared my views on how to engage girls in STEM.
- 03/04/2016: I successfully defended my Ph.D. Thesis dissertation titled Safety Supervisory Control, Model-Based Hazard Monitoring, and Temporal Logic: Dynamic Risk-Informed Safety Interventions and Accident Prevention.
- 04/23/2015: The Zonta International foundation awarded me the Amelia Earhart Fellowship for the academic year 2015-2016.
- 01/10/2015: The paper Software in Military Aviation Mishaps: Analysis and Recommendations for the Investigation Process has been accepted for publication in Reliability Engineering and System Safety.
- 11/20/2014: I successfully presented myPh.D. Thesis proposal titled From Primitives of Causality to System Safety Properties: Towards a Formal Basis of Accident Causation and Prevention.
- 10/14/2014: The paper Introducing Temporal Logic for Risk Analysis has been accepted at RAMS15.
- 09/29/2014: The paper Observability-in-Depth:an Essential Complement to the Defense-in-Depth strategy in the Nuclear Industry has been accepted for publication on Nuclear Engineering and Techonology.