Benefits for Sworn Police Officers
Employment benefits for sworn Police Officers are listed below. For additional information, see Public Safety Benefits (pdf).
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision insurance for all employees and dependents.
- 10 days of vacation and 12 days of sick leave a year, including 20 days paid maternity, paternity or adoption leave. Vacation accrual rate increases after 3 years of service.
- 13 paid holidays and 1 personal holiday a year.
- Annual uniform allowance. In addition, all safety equipment is initially provided to newly hired police officers.
- POST Certificate Bonus up to $450/month.
- Special Assignment Bonus $100/month.
- Employee and dependent education Fee Waiver Program - earn a degree!
- CalPERS Retirement Program 2.5% at 57 (3% at 50 for classic members).
- Workers Compensation Plan.
Non-Sworn Employment Opportunities
UPD also has several classifications of non-sworn positions, including Police Dispatcher and Parking Enforcement Officer. For information regarding employment benefits, visit Human Resources Benefit Summary Sheets.
For information about the benefits of working for SJSU, visit Working at SJSU.