How to Report a Missing Student

Beginning in the fall of 2010, new federal guidelines require colleges and universities with on-campus student housing to enact policies and procedures to handle reports of missing students.

First, Notify University Housing Services

If you believe a student living in on-campus housing has been missing for 24 hours, report it to University Housing Services (UHS) staff (or to UPD) as soon as possible. You do not need to wait 24 hours to take action, especially if there is any evidence of foul play.

If reported to UHS, they will immediately conduct a preliminary assessment including, but not limited to a review of the missing resident's key card access history and contact with other residents.

UPD Investigation

If the missing person is not located after the UHS preliminary assessment, UHS will immediately contact UPD and we will begin an investigation.

Emergency Contacts

Once UPD's investigation determines that a student is missing, we will notify an emergency contact identified by the student. All students living in on-campus housing can register a separate emergency, confidential contact for if they go missing.

If the missing student is younger than 18 years of age and not an emancipated minor, UPD must notify the student's custodial parent or guardian in addition to the emergency contact person identified by the student.

For more information, see Missing Student Policy.