DUI Prevention Program
UPD provides presentations to students on the hazards of driving while intoxicated. The program includes a special pair of goggles that simulate the effects of intoxication by disorienting the wearer. Under controlled conditions, a screened volunteer may drink alcohol and, at various stages of intoxication, take a Field Sobriety Test and breath test to demonstrate how little alcohol it really takes to impair a person's ability to perform simple tasks.
Car Crash Display
In an effort to raise awareness to the dangers of driving while intoxicated, UPD arranges for the Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) car crash display to be exhibited on campus, when available.
Avoid the 13
Year after year, UPD officers are recognized for their contribution to the annual holiday anti-drunk driving campaign known as Avoid the 13 (named for the original participating 13 law enforcement agencies). Santa Clara, San Mateo and Alameda Counties now represent the campaign.
For more information regarding drunk driving in California, visit:
- DUI : Search for DUI lawyers.
- Every 15 Minutes : An excellent program for high school students as well as information regarding drunk driving laws.
- I Promise Program : Has your teenager made the safe driving promise yet?
- MADD : Mothers Against Drunk Driving.
- NCADD : Search for drug and alcohol rehabilitation and treatment programs.
- SJSU Alcohol & Drug Abuse Prevention Program
- SJSU Drugs & Alcohol Use Policy