Personal Safety Tips
- Avoid unlighted, vacant or deserted areas after dark. If you are being followed or
see suspicious activity, move to a lighted building or area, attract the attention
of other people and contact UPD:
- Dial 9-1-1 on any campus telephone
- Use any campus Bluelight phone
- Use any elevator phone
- Call 408-924-2222 from a cellular phone
- Visit UPD located at 377 S. 7th St. (in front of the South Garage)
- Avoid walking alone after dark. Request an escort to walk with you up to 2 blocks off campus. For more information, see Evening Guide Escort Program.
- Consider walking with a friend or in a group.
- Avoid jogging alone during the day or at night.
- Never hitch a ride from a stranger.
- Be aware of your surroundings and other people who may be around you.
- Consider carrying a noise-making device (such as a whistle) with you. If you are threatened, yell " Fire!" to summon help.
- Rather than entering an elevator alone with a stranger, consider waiting for the next elevator. Stand away from the elevator door to avoid being pushed inside. If you are assaulted inside an elevator, hit the alarm button, not the emergency stop button.
- Always have your keys in your hand and ready for use when you approach a locked door.
- Look around your vehicle and in the back seat before getting in.
- Drive on well-traveled streets and keep your doors locked. Make it a habit to lock your doors as soon as you get into your car.
- If your vehicle breaks down, stay inside and open your window only slightly. If someone stops to help, stay inside, speak to them through your window and ask them to call for help.