Theft Prevention Tips for Residence Halls
- Always keep your door locked and never prop-open a door that should be locked or closed.
- In group residences, ask strangers to wait in the common areas while their friends are summoned.
- Lock your room door and windows when you leave (even if only for a minute) and take your keys with you.
- Offer assistance to strangers on your floor. If they have legitimate business, they will appreciate your help. If they do not, alert the residence hall staff and/or UPD.
- When moving in or out of your residence, keep your room locked. Also, do not leave your car unlocked when loading or unloading.
- Do not leave coats, books or other valuable items in common areas. Keep them in your room.
- If you see or hear something suspicious, call UPD
- Dial 9-1-1 on any campus telephone
- Use any campus Bluelight phone
- Use any elevator phone
- Call 408-924-2222 from a cellular phone
- Visit UPD located at 377 S. 7th St. (in front of the South Garage)
- Take your valuables home during vacation.
- Never keep large sums of money, jewelry or other valuables in your residence hall room.
- Get to know your neighbors and watch out for each other.