Changing Your Name on Campus
Primary (Legal) Name vs "Preferred" Name
A campus "Preferred" name is the name a student wishes to be commonly known as, if
different from their legal first name. The preferred name will be seen on Class Rosters, Grade Rosters, and the front of your Tower Card. All official documents such as transcripts and diplomas are considered legal documents
and will use the student's legal name.
Your Primary or Legal name will continue to be used on official university documentation:
- Official and Unofficial Transcripts
- TowerCard (back of the card in smaller font)
- Any documentation involving financial aid or student accounts
For additional information please see SJSU's Preferred Name Policy.
Using a "Preferred" Name at SJSU
Please see the following guides to update your name on following SJSU systems:
- SJSU Email
Changing Primary (Legal) Name through SJSU
- Once you have finalized your official legal name change, submit the Personal Info Changes form
(the form states necessary documentation, id(s) and where to submit the form)
- If you need help with figuring out the process of getting your name changed legally please see Changing Your Legal Name.
- Id Please... A Guide to Changing California & Federal Identity Documents To Match Your Gender Identity by the Transgender Law Center
- Transgender Rights Toolkit: A Legal Guide For Trans People and Their Advocates by Lambda Legal
- Changing Your Legal Documentation in California by the Transgender Law Center
- Identity Documents and Privacy by the National Center for Transgender Equality