Sign Up For Program Updates
New Program - Master of Design
Our new Master of Design (MDes) program is a two-year, hybrid format program that focuses on current, emerging, and experimental professional practices with distinct specializations in Experience Design and Animation.Master of Design
New Program - MSSE, Specialization in Enterprise Technologies
Join professional students in an unmatched educational experience with the MS in Software Engineering, Specialization in Enterprise Technologies. Prequalify today.MSSE in Enterprise Technologies
New Program - Higher Education Teaching Certificate
The Higher Education Teaching Certificate program provides graduate-level coursework and classroom experience to current and future higher education instructors.Higher Education Teaching Certificate
Join our accelerated and highly selective MSW Advanced Standing program. Graduate in just one year and begin your advanced career in social work. 37 units complete this program, with in-person internship requirements.
The Master of Social Work Advanced Standing option is created for highly qualified students who already hold a bachelor of social work degree. Like our other MSW programs, this program prepares you for professional practice: to advocate, support and work competently with diverse communities and families. Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.5 and a minimum grade of A- in all social work major courses to be eligible to apply.
As a student of the MSW Advanced Standing program, you will begin with a set of bridge courses in the summer before entering the specialized final year of the program and completing your internship.
Fast-Track Your MSW with the MSW AS Program
Hear from the director of the School of Social Work on how the online MSW AS program from SJSU can fast-track your degree if you already hold a bachelor’s degree in social work.
A rich community with a diverse student body, passionate faculty, and active alumni and donors make up the School of Social Work.
Our MSW program has been accredited continuously by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) since 1973. This accreditation helps guide our program through core competencies.
Join a small group of very qualified students to complete your MSW. This opportunity brings lasting connections and networking opportunities.
SJSU is voted #5 in College Factual’s 2023 list of best California Social Work schools.
Apply To The Program
Learn more about how to apply below.
- Admission Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in social work from a program accredited by CSWE at the time of admission or within the last seven years.
- A minimum grade point average of 3.5 and a minimum grade of A- in all BSW/BASW (social work major) courses
- At least 400 hours of recent social work-related experience (cumulative internship, paid, or volunteer experience) in addition to the minimum internship hours required for the BSW/BASW degree
- Three letters of recommendation specific to qualifications for Advanced Standing, in addition to the usual scored recommendation forms
- Evaluations from BSW/BASW field internships
- Personal statement and personal interview
- An English language proficiency test (TOEFL, IELTS or PTE) is required if a student's baccalaureate was earned outside of the US. For more information visit the graduate admissions site.
For more information and how to apply visit MSW Admissions.
*Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission into the program. Currently, the MSW program is only accepting students residing in California. If admitted, students must be able to study and do their internships in California.
- How to Apply
- Application Deadlines
- Cal State Apply Deadline:
December 1, 2023*
- MSW Program Application Portal Deadline:
December 15, 2023*
*These dates are not final and are subject to change.
- Cal State Apply Deadline:
For FAQs related to your application, visit the program site.
For news or events check out the School of Social Work Newsletter.
Webinars are held each semester. For more information, see our events listings.
Sign up to receive program updates.
Our two-year Master of Social Work (MSW) hybrid program offers online classes with an in-person internship component. Two years of continuous enrollment and completion of 60 units is required for this degree.
The Post-Master Pupil Personnel Services Credential (PPSC), designed for professionals with an MSW, qualifies you for certification with the state of California as a school social worker. This 10-credit program includes four units of externship done in a school setting.