Old Major Forms [.pdf]
Separate advising arrangements are provided for the undergraduate and graduate programs.
For graduate programs, check with your program coordinator. For undergradaute programs, check the advising hours posted.
Many students benefit from contact with other (non-advisor) psychology faculty whose
area of expertise matches their own interests. These people are often useful sources
of information and provide important mentoring and can provide informal career guidance.
Undergraduate Advising 1.2.3.
1. Meet With Your Advisor
- Check our current How to Contact an Advisor.
- Check in with a Faculty Advisor at least once a year about progress in the major.
- If you are not yet a Psychology Major (per MySJSU), then read our policy, "Declaring a Psychology Major Under Impaction" and the need to have a history of PSYC/STAT at SJSU prior to becoming a Psychology major.
- You can run a "what if" degree progress report in mySJSU MyAcademics to see what outstanding
requirements for graduation with a Psychology major would be. You should also let
the advisor know if there are any possible courses taken elsewhere that are not included
in the 'what if' report as meeting a psychology requirement.
2. Planning your major
- For your purposes, you might want to download the appropriate Major Form:
Current Forms (for most students this will be the BA Fall 2019 requirements)
- Log in to MySJSU, use "degree progress" to access your "academic advising report"
(if you are not a psychology major use "what if" [generally BA Fall 2019 or later
- If a transfer student, check for course articulation between your CC and SJSU -- just because it has a similar name does NOT mean the
course will automatically qualify. Similarly, even if we do not have a posted articulation
agreement with your transfer institution, we MAY accept the course (see an advisor
to confirm any non-posted articulation -- you MAY need the information that we request
on the equivalency form for us to edit the degree progress report so that the report says what you 'really'
need to take. A lower division course (any from a community college) will not articulate
against an upper division course (SJSU course number 100+).
- Use myacademics link to apply for graduation. If the link does not appear, contact
an advisor. You should apply approximately a year before the term in which you expect
to fulfill all degree requirements (minimum "priority" dates are posted online).
- Meet with your Minor Advisor (if applicable) to determine what is needed for your
minor (major forms are generally not needed, a minor forms may or may not be needed [electronic