Research Participation - Introduction and Information
Signing up for a SONA account
Accessing the online system:
Login at: http://sjsu.sona-systems.com/
All Psych 1 students are required to participate in psychology research experiments
for a total of 3 hours. The 3 hours must be completed by the December 7th, 2020 deadline in order to receive credit for the course.
This research experience is not only required by the department as part of the Psychology
1 curriculum, but if, you participate willingly, you will learn a great deal about
how psychology works. Who knows, you like what you see and become a Psychology researcher!
- You have a total of 3 hours to complete (this may be a combination of both online studies or in person studies, if available.)
- You need to have at least 1 hour completed by October 1, 2020. If not completed by that time, you will receive an email noting your need to begin
participation in the research pool.
- You can participate in each experiment only once.
- If you cannot show up at your appointment, whether it be on Zoom or in person, please
inform your researcher! A 24-hour advance notice is required. Any student who does
not provide 24-hour notice will need to make up the missed hours with the Alternative
- Show up on time. Be respectful to the researchers. Follow all directions and guidelines.
- Some studies may vary in their emphasis on how much effort should be placed in their
experiments. Meaning they can give you a fraction of the credit that you expected
to receive. For instance, although the study was slated as being one hour in credit,
because you didn’t take the study seriously, they could decide to only give you .5
hour credit. The minimum that can be awarded is .25 hour credit.
- Points awarded will be commensurate with the effort expended by participants in studies
- You will be awarded only a fraction of the total credit hours associated with the
- Should you elect not to continue your participation in a study.
- In the event that your completion of a study was done in an unreasonably short period
of time (e.g. 5 minutes for a 60 minutes online survey).
- Research participation will be treated as a course assignment worth 6% of the final
course grade. To obtain the full 6%, you will need to complete 3 hours of research
participation (2% per hour).
- If you elect to not participate in research, you can consider the alternative assignment
option for full or partial credit for your research hours. Please see the distributed
handouts on alternative assignment for details on the requirements.
- All research hours and alternative assignments must be completed by December 7th, 2020.
- Do not wait until the last couple of weeks to complete this assignment! Create your
SONA account within the first few weeks of the semester and log-on frequently; appointments
may be hard to come by!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Can I do a combination of Research Studies and the Alternative Assignment?
Q: Are all the studies held on campus?
A: It depends on the study. Due to COVID-19, most studies will be online, however,
some may be in person.
Q: How long are the studies?
A: The credit hours will be listed on the studies page in SONA. The research study
credit hours are provided in 30 minute increments. Hence, there are studies that give
you 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 1.5 hours, etcetera to complete. Studies typically
last 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Q: What kinds of studies are available?
A: The research pool is open to all professors and students conducting psychological
research. Thus, experiments represent various fields in psychology from social attitudes
to human factors.