Research and Innovation Division Extramural Funding Incentive Program
From: Dr. Mohamed Abousalem, Vice President for Research and Innovation
As part of the commitment of the Division of Research & Innovation to support your efforts to fund your research, scholarship, and creative activities (RSCA), I am pleased to announce a limited-time incentive program to encourage your submission of extramural grant proposals.
Principal Investigators (PIs) who submit qualifying proposals between now and December 31, 2020, will receive a“submission incentive” in the form of $500 in RSCA funds deposited into their SJSU Research Foundation account for RSCA-related expenditures. Additionally, if the grant is awarded, the faculty member will receive an “award incentive” in the form of additional RSCA funds equivalent to 1% of the facilities and administrative (F&A) cost-bearing amount of the SJSU award up to a maximum of $2,000. PIs are encouraged to submit several qualifying grant applications. During this program period, each PI may receive one submission incentive and an unlimited number of award incentives.
A qualifying proposal is an institutional* grant that meets all the following criteria:
- The funding period is at least two years.
- The proposal is submitted through and processed by the SJSU Research Foundation by December 31, 2020 - no time limit on award date.
- The submission timeline follows the SJSU Research Foundation recommended proposal submission timeline (rush submissions will not qualify).
- The proposal must go through verifiable review by a RSCA active faculty member (at SJSU or externally - copies of the review(s) required), or by the SJSU Research Development team (Julia Gaudinski and Paula Kenyon).
* Institutional grants do not include those that solely provide faculty membership to a professional organization
or other personal career development opportunities.
We want to invest in your RSCA and hope that you take advantage of this limited-time program to help you pursue and secure new extramural funding for your work. I invite you to connect with the Research Development team and to use the resources available to you from the Research Foundation to bring in the right extramural funding for your work.
If you have any questions, please reach out to the Division of Research & Innovation. The Division is hosting weekly office hours as follows:
- Research Development Team - for questions about a particular funding opportunity and/or a grant proposal strategy
and planning: Every Monday and Thursday 2:30 -4 p.m. Send an email request to
firstname.lastname@example.org to book a time and receive a virtual meeting connection.
- Division of Research & Innovation Leadership (VPRI and AVP Research) - for process, policy, and resource questions related to SJSU research and innovation: Every Tuesday 12 - 1 p.m. Send an email request to email@example.com to book a time and receive a virtual meeting connection.
Dr. Mohamed Abousalem
Vice President for Research and Innovation
p.s. As previously announced, many COVID-19 funding opportunities are expected to become available. Please see the Research Development’s COVID-19-related funding summary and the Research Foundation’s COVID-19 funding list. Consider applying to those opportunities using this incentive program.