VPRI Mid-Career Fellowship FAQ
Last updated on 08/15/2022
- Can I budget for 0.2 release in Fall?
Assigned Time buyout is not allowed for the VPRI Mid-Career Fellowship. Faculty can request summer salary of up to $5,000 in either June or July (not both).
- Can we budget funds to buy gift cards for rewarding participation in our experiments?
Yes. Gift cards may be used as an incentive to encourage participation in research, if required for your RSCA project. Please note:
(1) Remember to seek IRB approval, and
(2) You must clearly document the incentives for your RSCA project in your budget proposal. Your department admin will be able to purchase them using the department procurement card on your behalf. The following backup documentation is required for audit purchases:
* A copy of the proposal or project where the reason for purchase is detailed
* Incentives and amounts
* Estimates of participants
- Can I submit an application to the VPRI Mid-Career Fellowship as PI and also be a
Co-PI on the Level-Up application?
Yes. Be sure your role as Co-PI in the Level-Up is well integrated into the project and will advance your probability to get future RSCA funding in a different way than the work proposed in this VPRI Mid-Career Fellowship.
- I would like to contract a private consultant for their services with my RSCA project.
Is that allowed?
Yes. Note, however, that any payments to consultants are not intended as payments to the faculty themselves.
- I budgeted for a summer fellowship. When can I expect to receive my check?
The Payroll department processes summer fellowships during the following pay period (e.g. a July fellowship will be processed in early August). If you are on direct deposit, you will receive payment electronically while paper checks will be released to your department admin.
- Is the summer fellowship taxable?
Yes. The summer fellowship is considered taxable income is taxed as follows:
* Federal tax: 22%
* State tax: 6.6%
* Social Security and Medicare: 7.65%
If you have any question about your check once you receive it, please contact your Payroll Representative.