BA in Sociology (Race and Ethnic Studies Concentration)
All students should regularly consult an advisor in the major. Sociology advisors have drop-in advising hours. For a schedule of advising hours, see Advising.
Requirements of the Major (42 units)
To view a list of course requirements for the major concentration as well as course descriptions, please see the current SJSU catalog.
- Race and Ethnic Studies Concentration [pdf]
- Sociology Contract for Major [pdf]
- Recommended Four-Year Degree Roadmaps
- Sociology 100W Credit Request [pdf]
- Sociology Statistics Credit Request [pdf]
Transfer Credit & Articulation
- Transfer Planning Guide
- Articulation Correspondences, Sorted by SJSU Course
- Articulation Correspondences, Sorted by School
- See the SJSU Catalog for complete degree information on the BA in Sociology, Concentration in Race & Ethnic Studies. Requirements of the major are only part of the requirements for graduation, as briefly summarized here:
|University Graduation Requirements||41 units|
|Major Core Requirements||27 units|
|Concentration Requirements||15-16 units|
|University Electives||36-37 units|
- A minor is strongly recommended: Students may elect to minor in one of the 4 Ethnic Studies areas: African American Studies, Asian American Studies, Mexican American Studies, Native American Studies (housed in Anthropology). Please see an advisor in those departments and programs for minor advising and double counting of major and minor courses.
Some classes “double count” in GE or SJSU Studies as well as in the Sociology major. Note: Soci 162 and AAS 185 in SJSU Studies Area S, as well as the major. However, the units for the class only count once. You should keep track of the cumulative number of units you have earned. Check your transcript on MYSJSU.