Sports Officials

basketball officials

Officiating with SJSU Intramural Sports

"Knowledge, Professionalism, Learning"


IM Sports Official's Manual


How do I become an IM Sports Official?

1. Check out the IM Sports Official's Manual to see if being an official sounds right for you.

2. Apply for the job here:

2. Meet with the IM Sports Coordinator to discuss the necessary paperwork.

3. Pass an official background screening.

4. Meet with Student Union Human Resources to complete all tax forms.

5. Once hired, you must complete training before you will be scheduled to officiate games. Additional mandatory meetings will take place throughout the semester.

YES! You can be an IM Sports Official without any prior officiating experience! Prior officiating and/or playing experience is preferred, but not required. We will train you to be an offical in the sports you want to work.

YES! IM Sports officials can (and are are encouraged to) play IM Sports! All current IM Sports officials receive a discount on their IM Sports team entry fees.

NO! Intramural Sports officiating is not a reliable source of hours or income. This is the perfect job for students looking for only a few hours per week. Those expecting traditional full- or even part-time hours should not apply for this position. Typical hours for a new official are generally between 6-10 hours per week, per sport. If there are an abundance of new officials for a sport, the opportunities for shifts decreases even more. Veteran officials with more experience typically receive the most hours.


Fall 2018 Sports Seeking Officials:

  • Basketball
  • Indoor Soccer
  • Dodgeball
  • Volleyball
  • Flag Football


Meetings and Training

All students who want to officiate need to attend our meetings and must first be hired as an employee in order to attend. If interested, contact Matt Lee, the Intramural Sports Coordinator, at

There may be limited space for training in each sport due to facility constraints, game schedules, and how many expected teams there are for each sport. There is no guarantee of employment before the training begins or even throughout the season.


Required Documents

All new hires are required to provide these two documents to Human Resources:

  • Driver's License or SJSU Tower ID Card
  • Social Security Card or Birth Certificate issued by State or County (originals only—no copies will be accepted)

In addition to providing the above documents, International Students must also show their:

  • Unexpired foreign passport
  • Form I-94 (copy)
  • U.S. Visa (copy)
  • Form I-20 (required if DS stated on form I-94)
  • Letter from SJSU International Department (copy)

In order to apply for a social security number, you must have an official "letter of hire" from the department. That application process typically takes at least 2–4 weeks, so International Students should contact the Intramural Sports Coordinator at 408.924.6266 to arrange an appointment to get a letter of hire NO LESS than 6 WEEKS before the officials' meeting they wish to attend.


Submit an online application here!