Student FAQs

The questions below are intended for students at San Jose State University. If you have general questions or more in depth questions about Student Conduct and Ethical Development, please send us an email at

Q: If I received a Notice of Conference from Student Conduct and Ethical Development. What does this mean?

A:  Student Conduct and Ethical Development has received an incident report indicating that you have allegedly violated the Student Conduct Code. Contact Student Conduct and Ethical Development at 408-924-5985 to schedule a Conference with the Student Conduct Administrator.

Q: What happens during the Conference?

A:  Conferences are facilitated discussions between you and the Student Conduct Administrator regarding alleged violations of the Student Conduct Code. You will be provided the opportunity to provide your perspective, respond to the charges, identify any relevant witnesses or documents, and discuss aggravating or mitigating circumstances. Honesty is important. Familiarize yourself with the student conduct process (Executive Order 1098) prior to your Conference.

Q: If I am being charged in court, why do I also have to deal with the University? Isn’t this double jeopardy?

A:  The criminal justice system and the student conduct process are separate processes. You are responsible for upholding the Student Conduct Code as well as the law. You may have to go through the student conduct process even if the criminal case is not completed or if the criminal charges are dropped. The student conduct process will proceed before, simultaneously with, or after any other judicial process. 

Q: What if I don’t show up for my Conference?

A:  If you fail to show up for your Conference, a hold will be placed on your record prohibiting you from performing any registration transactions or releasing your records and transcripts. 

Q: What if I was not aware of a rule and didn’t know I was breaking it?

A:  Lack of knowledge of a rule is not an excuse for misconduct. Every student is responsible for upholding the standards of the University Community including but not limited to Student Conduct CodeAcademic Integrity Policy, and license agreement (if you live on campus).  If you are unsure of any policies, ask for clarification.

Q: What if the incident happened off campus?

A:  The University is responsible for maintaining a safe community and appropriate standards of conduct for its students. This includes both on and off campus behavior, which can have an impact on the university community.

Q: I was placed on disciplinary probation. What does that mean?

A:  Disciplinary probation is a sanction as described in Executive Order 1098, given for a specific time period. Disciplinary probation is entered on the academic transcript, with beginning and end date, for the duration of the sanction. During this time, additional violations of the Student Conduct Code may result in further discipline, and may be subject to additional sanctions (e.g., suspension or expulsion).

Q: What if I do not complete an assigned sanction?

A:  If you fail to complete the sanctions, a hold will be placed on your record prohibiting you from performing any registration transactions or releasing your records and transcripts.

Q: Will potential employers have access to my student conduct record?

A:  A disciplinary record does not automatically exclude a student from further study, jobs, etc.  It may lead to an admissions office or an employer to scrutinize a student’s application more closely. We only release information about a student’s disciplinary record to another school or potential employer with the permission of the student.

Q: What is a Resolution Agreement?

A:  The Resolution Agreement is an agreement between you and San Jose State University. The Resolution Agreement will outline the outcome of the student conduct process, including violations of the Student Conduct Code and sanctions assigned.

Q: Will my family find out?

A: If you decide to give your family access to your student conduct record, you must fill out the waiver of confidentiality [PDF] form.

Q: What if my Academic Integrity Case is dismissed, how do I get the grade changed?

A:  If you have been found not responsible for violating the Academic Integrity Policy as a result of going through the student conduct process, you should follow-up with the instructor and/or the department chair to discuss your academic sanction and grade. 

Q: What if I had nothing to do with the incident but I was documented by the Resident Advisors?

A:  If you were documented as a result of being or living in a room where a violation occurred, you will still need to schedule an appointment with Student Conduct and Ethical Development. If you are not part of the incident then that fact should come out during the meeting.