Faculty-Led Programs (FLPs) are San Jose State University (SJSU) courses taught abroad by SJSU faculty from various academic fields for 1-4 weeks during the winter, spring and summer breaks. FLPs offer SJSU Special Session courses and typically range from 3-6 units. A majority of our programs satisfy upper division GE courses (Area R, S and V), and some also offer major-specific courses.
Faculty-Led Programs are great for students who:
- want to work towards their graduation by earning SJSU credit on short-term programs.
- want to study abroad but do not want to leave their extracurricular activities (clubs, fraternities, sororities, etc.) by embarking on long-term programs.
- are working and cannot be away from work for a semester or longer.
- are first-time travelers that do not want to travel alone (in FLPs, you are accompanied by other SJSU students and faculty during your trip).
- are in majors that do not allow the flexibility to study abroad for a semester or longer.
- want to gain a competitive edge in their respective job markets by developing soft skills highly sought out by recruiters. Check out this news article on how studying abroad can improve your employability.
- have family commitments and cannot be away from the family for a semester or longer.
Application & Policies
For Parents & Family
Check out our Events calendar for information on events and info sessions for upcoming Faculty-Led Programs!
The CDC issued guidance on March 1, 2020 and advised the postponement or cancellation of all upcoming student foreign exchange programs. The CDC notes, and we believe, that “students may face unpredictable circumstances, travel restrictions, challenges in returning home or accessing health care while abroad.” Additionally, as of March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization has determined that the Coronavirus now considered a global pandemic.
Due to the dynamic threat of the Coronavirus and its potential impact on students’ health and safety, Study Abroad and Away office has taken the following actions in regards to our programs:
- Semester and Year Long programs:
- Fall semester abroad programs have been cancelled, effective 4/23/20. Students impacted
by this decision are encouraged to defer their semester abroad to spring 2021. Please
contact SpartansAbroad@sjsu.edu for assistance if you are impacted by this cancellation.
- Spring semester 2021 programs are still accepting applications at this time and plan to travel. We will continue to monitor the situation globally over the next few months and will notify students if there are any changes.
- The travel portion of all Faculty-Led Programs (FLP) for Winter break 2021 has been cancelled. The majority of the programs will continue to offer the FLP course in an online format. The online version of Winter 2021 Faculty-Led Programs (FLP) are still accepting applications at this time.
- Alternative Break Programs for spring 2021 have been cancelled (effective 9/14/20), given the increased threat of COVID-19 in our domestic program locations. SAA will be developing Alternative Break Programming for Summer 2021. We hope to offer both international and domestic sites. More information will be provided in late fall 2020.
Please reach out to us at SpartansAbroad@sjsu.edu for questions or if you need assistance. If an emergency, contact the University Police Department at 408-924-2222.