Application Process: FLP & SSA
This page details the steps for applying for Faculty-Led Programs and Summer School Abroad. Please review all information and the Important Deadlines page to note key deadlines for your program's application process. Click the links below to read about each stage of the process.
- Read about the different Faculty-Led Programs (FLPs) and Summer School Abroad (SSA) programs to see which program(s) are of interest to you.
- Visit our Events calendar to find out about information sessions for upcoming programs.
- Follow us on Instagram (@studyabroadsjsu) and Facebook (@sjsuflp) for updates and photos from our Global Spartans who have participated in study abroad programs!
- DACA Students: Please set up an advising appointment with the Study Abroad and Away Office (SAA) prior to submitting your application. You can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 408-924-2670 to set up an appointment. Please note all advising appointments remain confidential.
- Ensure you meet the eligibility requirements for a short-term program. Students are required to have a minimum GPA of 2.0. See the Short-Term FAQs page for more information.
- Review the specific requirements for the program you are interested in applying for,
which are listed on the program details page. Some factors to consider include:
- Do you need to take the Writing Skills Test (WST)?
- Is the program for students in a specific major?
- Does your Summer School Abroad program have a GPA requirement?
All course prerequisites must be completed prior to the course registration dates, which often occur months before the program
travel dates. Students can still submit an application without having completed
the course prerequisites.
- Meet with your academic advisor to see how the program fits in with your path to graduation.
- Review our Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Note the application deadline listed on the Important Deadlines page and plan accordingly. Send an email to email@example.com if you have any questions about the application process. Please include your full name and SJSU ID number in the email.
Open University Students
Non-matriculated SJSU students can apply to programs and enroll as Open University (OU) students upon acceptance. OU students will go through the same application process.
For upper division General Education courses that have prerequisites, such as the WST (Writing Skills Test), Open University students must show proof of having passed an equivalent test or have taken a similar course to SJSU courses that demonstrates passing of the test. Open University students will also need to complete additional documents once accepted:
Do not complete the form above until you are accepted to the program. By completing this form, you agree that should you ever matriculate at SJSU, you may NOT use this course for SJSU Studies credit.
- Go to your program's web page. Click on the "APPLY HERE!" link on the program's page and you will be directed to the program's page within the Spartans Abroad Portal (SAP).
- Click on the "Apply Now" button for the program. Each program has a separate application, so make sure you are on the correct program page.
- For current SJSU students: Log into the Spartans Abroad Portal (SAP), our application system, using your SJSU ID number and your password.
- For non-SJSU Students (Open University): If you do not have an SJSU ID number, choose "I do not have login credentials to this site." This will take you to the next page where you can create an account and start your application.
- Create and complete the profile as a first-time user in SAP. Once your profile is completed, you will be routed to your applicant home page.
- Copy of Passport: If you currently do not have a passport or you are in the process of renewing/applying for a passport, you can still complete the application. You will need to upload a copy of your passport before you depart for your program.
- Click on the program link under the Applications box. This will take you to the Program Application Page that will contain application instructions and documents you need to complete and submit. You must submit all required documents and review all recommended documents prior to submitting.
- Once you have completed all application requirements, click on the 'Submit Application' button at the top of the Program Application Page. If you attempt to submit your application before it is complete, you will receive a warning message. Once successfully submitted, a date and time stamp will appear for confirmation on your application.
- Check your email account frequently for messages from SAA and your program leader(s).
The program leader/SAA office will review your application and determine your eligibility for the program. You will receive a decision notification on the application status notification date as indicated on the Important Deadlines page.
Accepted students will receive an acceptance letter from the Study Abroad and Away office. See the After Acceptance section below for more details.
Waitlisted students will receive notice from the Study Abroad and Away office, informing them that they have been placed on the program’s waitlist. Accepted students will have a certain period of time to commit to their program and pay their non-refundable deposit. If they choose to withdraw their application, or do not complete the required steps, their spot in the program will open up. At that point, program leaders will choose students from their waitlist.
If you are waitlisted, check your email for messages about possible openings in the program. If you are waitlisted after the application deadline, the office can work with you individually to help you identify another program.
Not Accepted Students
Students who are not accepted to the program or placed on the program's waitlist will receive notice from the Study Abroad and Away office, informing them of this decision. Students may be eligible to apply to another program in the future.
If your application is accepted, you will receive an official acceptance letter from the Study Abroad and Away office. Below you will find the steps you will need to complete after acceptance. Please click on the links to read more information.
The official acceptance letter will inform you to log into your Spartans Abroad Portal (SAP) account to complete the checklist of items by the stated deadlines (steps that will take place in SAP are denoted by an asterisk). This includes, but is not limited to, the following steps:
- reviewing student policies and expectations
- submitting the Commitment to Participate form*
- paying your non-refundable deposit
- completing the partner university application (for SSA program participants)
- registering for your course(s) in MySJSU
- making the full program payment
- signing release and liability forms*
- updating your passport information*
- completing the Student Health Form*
- completing the Pre-Departure Orientation course
- making travel arrangements
For the safety of all people involved, students are required to abide by FLP/SSA rules and regulations. This includes:
- Reviewing the Student Policies: Visit the Student Policies page for detailed information.
- Review the Program Withdrawal and Cancellation Policies: Visit the Program Withdrawal page for more information about withdrawing from an FLP/SSA and what happens if a program is cancelled.
Upon acceptance, you are required to complete the Commitment to Participate Form to secure your spot in the program. You will find the link to the form when you log into your Spartans Abroad Portal account and view your checklist of required documents.
By signing this agreement, you are formally accepting your admission to the program and are promising to abide by the statement of responsibilities detailed in the form. Read the terms and conditions of the Commitment to Participate Form carefully. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once accepted, students are required to pay a $500 non-refundable deposit to confirm your participation. The deposit charge will be placed on your student account after the submission deadline for the Commitment to Participate form. Please note that deadlines are subject to change; visit theImportant Deadlines page and check your email for updates. You are obligated to pay the deposit in order to secure your spot on the program. If at any time after signing the Commitment to Participate form you decide to withdraw from the program, you will still be responsible for paying the non-refundable $500 deposit.
Methods of Payment: There are three ways to make the deposit payment:
- Online through MySJSU. View instructions from the Bursar’s Office here.
- In-person at the Bursar's Office by cash or check. Make sure to let the cashier knows that you are making your prepayment for a Faculty-Led Program (FLP) or Summer School Abroad (SSA).
- Send your check to the Bursar's Office. If paying by check, make the check payable to SJSU. In the memo section of your check, write Faculty-Led Program or Summer School Abroad, Summer/Winter YEAR and your SJSU ID number (for example: Faculty-Led Program, Winter 2020, 0123456789).
Visit the Bursar's Office Methods of Payment web page for more information.
Bursar’s Office Location:
San José State University
One Washington Square SSC
San José, CA 95192-0138
Outstanding Balance:If you have any outstanding balance on your account at the time you make the deposit, your deposit will go to cover the outstanding balance. If this happens, please send an email to email@example.com and let us know. We will check with the Bursar to see if your deposit could be applied toward your FLP/SSA deposit.
You will receive an email notifying you when your FLP/SSA course is open for registration. You will have a specific window of time, from the date you are notified about registration to the set deadline by which you must complete your registration. You will register for your FLP/SSA course online through your MySJSU account. Please note that if required for the program, you will need to have completed and passed the Writing Skills Test (WST) prior to being able to register for the course.
Refer to the Important Deadlines page to view the FLP/SSA registration deadlines.
If you have paid the deposit of $500 and there is no outstanding balance, the amount should have been applied toward the program cost. Therefore, the amount owed should be $500 less than the program fee listed for your program.
Once you register for your course, allow the system about 1 to 3 hours to refresh and calculate the amount you should owe. Check the Finances section of your Student Center homepage to see the amount owed. If you see any discrepancy, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately, before making any payment.
Payment Plan: Currently, there is no payment plan option for FLP/SSA courses.
Full program payment must be made by the set deadline. If you fail to pay by the deadline:
- You will prevent the Study Abroad and Away office from being able to make any payments for your program. This can put hotel reservations and other programming in jeopardy. It is critical you pay by the stated deadline.
- No one (students or faculty) will be permitted to purchase flights until the entire group has paid in full. Your late payment could increase the cost of flights for the entire group.
Methods of Payment: Visit the Bursar's Office Methods of Payment web page for more information.
After making the full program payment, you will need to complete the Student Health Form. You will find the link to the form when you log into your Spartans Abroad Portal account and view your checklist of required items. You will need to submit the form by the deadline posted in the Important Deadlines page. The intention of this form is to collect pertinent information in order to identify any resources that may be needed for your health and safety on the program. Please note that having a health concern will not impact your application; the Study Abroad and Away office will provide reasonable accommodations as needed.
Once you are accepted to the program, you can begin preparing your travel documents. Travel documents can take a few weeks or up to a few months to be processed so begin the process as soon as possible. Please note it is your responsibility to make sure your travel documents are in order prior to departure.
The following documents are required:
- Valid passport: Some airlines and countries require that your passport be valid for at least six months past the date of your return to the U.S. For information on how to apply for or renew your U.S. passport, visit the U.S. Department of State website (http://www.state.gov/travel/).
- Visas (may be required): This will depend on the destination/country of your program. Your program leader/SAA office will provide more information about the visa process, if applicable, once the cohort is formed.
All students are required to complete the online SAA general pre-departure orientation that will cover basic cultural, health, and safety information for going abroad. This will be in addition to any site-specific pre-departure orientation or meetings your program leader/SAA office staff will host prior to your departure.
Students should not purchase airline tickets until the entire group has registered in their program course and have fully paid their program fees. To be able to get the best airfare rates, students should register for their program course and make full payment by the stated deadlines. Failure to meet the deadlines can delay all other participants' ability to buy their plane tickets.
Once you have purchased your plane tickets, you must enter your itinerary information in your Spartans Abroad Portal account in order to inform the Study Abroad and Away office. You will see instructions for how to do so once after logging into your account.
In the event that a Faculty-Led Program or Summer School Abroad program is cancelled, SJSU is not responsible for refunding any personal expenses, including flights. Airfare and other individual expenses are the responsibility of the student. Students may choose to purchase travel insurance or investigate refundable fares at their own expense. Please see the Program Withdrawal page for more information.
Upload a Copy of Your Passport
Remember to upload a copy of your passport in your Spartans Abroad Portal account. We need copies for safety and security reasons while you are abroad. When you log into your account, you will see instructions for how to do so.
You will have health insurance coverage for the program dates you are abroad. The Study Abroad and Away office will arrange the purchase of your insurance.
This is health insurance, which covers illnesses, medical emergencies, etc. when you are abroad. It is not travel insurance; it does not cover lost luggage, cancelled flights, etc.
The medical provider for your insurance plan will be On Call. On Call will send you an email that will provide insurance enrollment confirmation, your individual ID card, and your insurance brochure. Before you depart for your program, make sure to print out a copy of your insurance ID card and carry it with you while you are abroad. You should also review the insurance brochure to understand what coverage you will have.
If you are planning to travel before or after your program, you will need to arrange additional insurance coverage on your own.