Summer School Abroad
Summer School Abroad
Summer School Abroad (SSA) provides San Jose State University students the opportunity to study abroad during the summer break. Normally lasting two to eight weeks, SSAs allow you to take classes from one of our partner universities abroad, while earning SJSU course credits. You will have the chance to study alongside college students from around the world on these international programs, making cross-cultural connections that will last you the rest of your life!
Summer School Abroad is great for students who:
- want to work towards their graduation by earning SJSU credit on a short-term program.
- are looking for a more independent summer study abroad experience (while still having a support system when they need it).
- want to study abroad but do not want to leave their extracurricular activities (clubs, fraternities, sororities, athletic teams, etc.) by embarking on a longer program during the academic year.
- are working and cannot be away from work for a semester or longer.
- want to enjoy the perks of traveling and studying on their own like other traditional study abroad programs.
- want to study alongside college students from other countries, making life-long cross-cultural connections.
- want to gain a competitive edge in their respective job markets by developing soft skills highly sought out by recruiters. Check out this news article on how studying abroad can improve your employability.
- are non-traditional students who cannot be away from family for a semester or longer.
Contact Dr. Vid Raatior for more information (firstname.lastname@example.org; 408-924-2684)
Check out our Events calendar for information on events and info sessions for upcoming Summer School Abroad programs!
Application & Policies
Frequently Asked ?s
For Parents & Family
The CDC issued guidance on March 1, 2020 and advised the postponement or cancellation of all upcoming student foreign exchange programs. The CDC notes, and we believe, that “students may face unpredictable circumstances, travel restrictions, challenges in returning home or accessing health care while abroad.” Additionally, as of March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization has determined that the Coronavirus now considered a global pandemic.
Due to the dynamic threat of the Coronavirus and its potential impact on students’ health and safety, Study Abroad and Away office has taken the following actions in regards to our programs:
- Semester and Year Long programs:
- Fall semester abroad programs have been cancelled, effective 4/23/20. Students impacted
by this decision are encouraged to defer their semester abroad to spring 2021. Please
contact SpartansAbroad@sjsu.edu for assistance if you are impacted by this cancellation.
- Spring semester 2021 programs are still accepting applications at this time and plan to travel. We will continue to monitor the situation globally over the next few months and will notify students if there are any changes.
- The travel portion of all Faculty-Led Programs (FLP) for Winter break 2021 has been cancelled. The majority of the programs will continue to offer the FLP course in an online format. The online version of Winter 2021 Faculty-Led Programs (FLP) are still accepting applications at this time.
- Alternative Break Programs for spring 2021 have been cancelled (effective 9/14/20), given the increased threat of COVID-19 in our domestic program locations. SAA will be developing Alternative Break Programming for Summer 2021. We hope to offer both international and domestic sites. More information will be provided in late fall 2020.
Please reach out to us at SpartansAbroad@sjsu.edu for questions or if you need assistance. If an emergency, contact the University Police Department at 408-924-2222.