Short-Term FAQs


Can I apply to multiple programs?

You can only apply to one program at a time. However, if you wish to participate in more than one program, you will need to contact the Study Abroad and Away (SAA) office directly to discuss this option. If you are planning to enroll in two programs, make sure the program dates do not overlap. Email SAA at

What are the requirements to apply?

Faculty-Led Programs (FLPs) and Summer School Abroad programs (SSAs) differ from semester or year-long study abroad programs in that they may not require some items such as recommendation letters in order to apply. However, some FLPs or SSAs will have specific prerequisites or requirements.

For example, programs offering SJSU Studies courses in Areas R, S and V will require that applicants would have completed all of the course prerequisites at the time of the application submission. These can include:

a. Completion of core General Education (GE) requirements

b. Satisfaction of the Writing Skills Test (WST)* 

c. Upper Division Standing 

Some programs may also require completion of other specific prerequisite courses. 

*The Writing Skills Test (WST) must be completed and passed prior to course registration. Students can still submit an application before having taken the test.

Please note that all participants must enroll in all listed program courses in order to be eligible to participate in the program. Students are not permitted to repeat any courses they have already taken and passed at SJSU. If you have already taken the program's course(s), you will not be eligible for the program.

The program I am interested in requires passing of the Writing Skills Test (WST) and I am planning to take the WST before the application deadline. Can I still apply?

You can still submit your application. Your application for the program will be scanned for the WST eligibility at the time of course registration. Your WST* must be posted in your student record by that time or you will not be able to register for the course.

*SJSU has temporarily suspended offering the Writing Skills Test (WST) during the COVID-19 pandemic. Students are instead instructed to complete a Directed Self Placement alternative. View more information here.

What is the process for submitting my application if I am not an SJSU student?

Non-matriculated SJSU students can apply to short-term programs and will be enrolled as Open University (OU) students upon acceptance. You will go through the same FLP/SSA application process. 

If accepted to a program, the Study Abroad and Away office will submit a request for an SJSU ID number to be issued. Once the SJSU ID number is issued, you will be able to activate your SJSU account, register for the course, make your program payment and complete your online pre-departure orientation.

For upper division General Education courses that have prerequisites, such as the Writing Skills Test (WST), you must show proof of having passed an equivalent test or have taken a similar course to SJSU courses that demonstrates passing of the test. You will also need to complete an additional document, once accepted:

Non-Matriculated, Open U Students Taking Advanced GE Courses for Non-GE Credit

Do not complete the form above until you are accepted to the program. By completing this form, you agree that should you ever matriculate at SJSU, you may NOT use this course for SJSU Studies credit.

What are the lodging/housing accommodations?

Housing arrangements are typically made for the group and rooms are usually shared with another participant. If you have special requirements, please check with the program leader. You are required to reside in the lodging that is arranged for your program. If you wish to arrive prior to, or stay after, your program dates, you are responsible for making your own lodging arrangements.

What is the breakdown of the program cost?

The program details pages on the website list the costs for each program. For each program, there is a $200 administrative fee and a tuition fee of $250 per unit. Program fees cover your travel expenses during the program and vary depending on the destination and what is included in the program budget (i.e. meals, lodging, activity fees, etc.).

Some programs will have airfare included (either for local flights once you reach your destination or for the flight to your destination) or will build most of your on-site expenses into the program's total cost. This can make some programs seem more expensive than other programs. Check the program details pages to see what is included and what you may need to pay for out-of-pocket while on-site.

Matriculated SJSU students and Open University students will pay the same program cost.

Can I apply to participate in an FLP/SSA if I will officially graduate in May?

If you are planning to not use the units toward your graduation requirement and will be officially graduating in May, you can submit your application. If accepted to the program, your enrollment will be categorized as Open University, since the course will run in the summer. Please note that you will not be able to use these units toward another degree program once you are enrolled as an Open University student.

Can I apply if I am currently a freshman?

If you are a freshman, we recommend sending an email to to let us know which program you are interested in appyling for. While there may be programs open to all academic levels, some programs do require applicants to be in upper division standing in order to apply.

Will I be able to use my financial aid towards my program?

Undergraduate students may be able to use their financial aid toward the FLP/SSA if they are planning to take a minimum of 6 units during the summer session. This can mean that you will take all 6 units on an FLP/SSA or you take a combination of units in an FLP/SSA and courses at SJSU in the summer session to amount to 6 total units. Graduate students may be able to use their financial aid toward the program if they are planning to take a minimum of 4 units during the summer session. 

The financial aid disbursed for the summer FLP/SSA programs is part of your financial aid award for the academic year (fall and spring), so be sure to save some of your financial aid for the summer if you plan to participate in an FLP/SSA. For more information on financial aid eligibility, please contact the Financial Aid & Scholarship Office as soon as possible to learn about the process of allocating your financial aid award toward your summer FLP/SSA.




Carolyn Guel
Associate Director
Financial Aid & Scholarship Office


Jenisha McCoy
Special Programs Coordinator and Financial Aid Counselor
Financial Aid and Scholarship Office

Are there scholarship opportunities for FLP/SSA participants?

Students are encouraged to contact their college directly to see if there are scholarship opportunities for students participating in an FLP/SSA. Also visit our Scholarships pages for more details on scholarships available for study abroad and away students.

What happens after I have submitted my application?

The FLP program leader(s) and Study Abroad and Away office will evaluate the applications. Part of the evaluation process may also include an interview and/or submitting responses to additional questionnaires. Some programs will evaluate applications as they come in, while other programs will review all applications together at one time. You will be notified of your application decision by the notification deadline, as indicated on the Important Deadlines page.

How will I be notified of my acceptance to my program?

You will be notified of your application decision by the notification deadline, as indicated on the Important Deadlines page. If you are accepted to a program, you will receive an official acceptance email from the Study Abroad and Away office with instructions on the next steps of the process, as well as payment deadlines. 

How do I register for the FLP/SSA class?

After being accepted to the program and committing your participation, you will need to pay the non-refundable deposit. Accepted students will receive the official acceptance email with payment instructions and deadlines for making the deposit.

Once the course has the final approval, you will receive an email notifying you when your FLP/SSA course registration is open. You will have a specific window of time, from the date of the notice to the stated deadline, to register for your program course online through your MySJSU account.

How do I register for a FLP/SSA course that falls outside of my program of study (major)?

Before applying, check with your major advisor to determine whether the FLP/SSA course fits in with your program of study (major), and if any academic requirements /prerequisites, such as the Writing Skills Test (WST), are required before submitting your application.

In some cases, you may need a special permission number to register if the course falls outside your program of study. Your Program Leader or the Study Abroad and Away office can provide you with the permission number, if needed.

Most FLPs/SSAs are open to all majors and many fulfill upper division GE requirements. 

When is final payment due?

Payment due dates are listed on the Important Deadlines page.

Can I participate in the program without taking the SJSU course?

FLPs/SSAs are academic programs and each program is connected to an SJSU course. Participants must be enrolled in the SJSU course(s) in order to participate in the FLP/SSA. 

Please note that students are not permitted to repeat any courses they have already taken and passed at SJSU. If you have already taken the program's course(s), you will not be eligible for the program.

How can I request an official transcript after I have completed the course as an Open University (OU) student?

Please visit this page for instructions on how to order your transcript online. 

Still have questions? Send an email to us at