Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning Course Options
All students must complete a General Education (GE) Area B4 Mathematical Concepts course during their first year at SJSU. You are strongly advised to complete your GE Area B4 math/QR requirement during your first semester. Placement in your GE Area B4 math/QR course is dependent on two factors: your major and your enrollment category. Follow these steps to see which course is right for you:
- Determine if your major requires calculus:
SJSU Majors Requiring Calculus (STEM)
- Identify your math enrollment category using the appropriate flowchart below:
What Are My Math/QR Course Options For Majors Not Requiring Calculus (Non-STEM)?
What Are My Math/QR Course Options For Majors Requiring Calculus (STEM)?
- To help choose the appropriate math/QR course based on your enrollment category and
major, use our interactive tool below:
Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning (GE Area B4) Course Options Explorer
To view your enrollment category on your student portal, follow the guide below:
Note: Your enrollment category may change as we continue to receive final high school transcripts, test scores, (AP, IB, CLEP) and college transfer coursework. To ensure your documents have been received and posted follow the steps outlined in How to View Exam and Transfer Credit Posted. Note: It is recommended that you bring an unofficial copy of your test scores with you to orientation.
If your major requires calculus you will be required to take the Precalculus Proficiency Assessment (PPA), prior to orientation. Do not take the PPA if you have ANY of the following:
- AP Calculus AB or BC exam with a score of 3 or higher. (Request to have your official score report sent to SJSU as soon as it is available.)
- Community College Precalculus or Calculus course with a grade of C- or better. (Send us your official transcript reflecting this work as soon it is available.)
- Official CLEP Calculus or Precalculus score with a 50 or higher (Request to have your official score report sent to SJSU as soon as it is available.)
To register for the PPA, please visit testing.sjsu.edu/Calcpe
For details, exemptions, and other criteria visit sjsu.edu/math/calculus
For a list of all General Education Area B4 courses with support see below:
For a list of all General Education Area B4 courses see the list below:
Early Start Program
If your enrollment category indicates that you are required to participate in the CSU Early Start Program, you will be notified by MySJSU message with program information in the second week of May and again in the first week of June. For more details about Early Start, visit the program website at www.sjsu.edu/earlystart.