Enrollment Category Appeals Process
GE Area A2 Written Communication
Your first written communication course at SJSU (GE area A2) is determined by your enrollment category and the Reflection on College Writing. This online self-assessment will allow you to explore your options and choose the course that is best for you. Since you decide which course to take, there is no need to appeal your enrollment category.
GE Area B4 Math/Quantitative Reasoning (QR)
Your first math/QR course at SJSU (GE area B4) is determined by your math enrollment category and your intended major. The process for determining the enrollment category uses multiple measures from your academic record, most of which were submitted with your application. This includes the following:
- Test Scores: AP, IB, CLEP, SAT, ACT, CAASPP/EAP
- College-level transfer coursework
- High school courses and GPA
For your appeal to have merit, it must bring to light new or missing information that was not considered in the original determination, such as transfer coursework or test scores (AP, IB, CLEP) taken and/or submitted after the deadline.
If you are in doubt about whether your appeal has merit, you can send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Otherwise please follow the instructions below for submitting your appeal. The final deadline to submit your appeal, with the appropriate documentation, is Thursday, August 06, 2020.
To appeal your math enrollment category, follow the steps below:
- Verify your enrollment category by using the appropriate flowchart below:
What Are My Math/QR Course Options For Majors Not Requiring Calculus (Non-STEM)?
What Are My Math/QR Course Options For Majors Requiring Calculus (STEM)?
- Complete and submit the Petition to Appeal your Math Enrollment Category by Thursday, August 06, 2020. You will receive a confirmation email after submitting the form.
- Be prepared to submit any new information that was not previously considered in determining your enrollment category.
- If the documentation to support your appeal is received by the appeal deadline, and the appeal is approved, the Supported Instruction Office will adjust your enrollment category appropriately.
The Supported Instruction Office will contact you about the appeal decision.
For further information or questions regarding this process, contact email@example.com.
If you would like to appeal your Early Start Requirement, visit the program website at www.sjsu.edu/earlystart.