Applying to the MA Program
- Make a commitment. This is an intense, cohort-based program that includes summer sessions. So, it's important to consider what enrolling in the program will mean for you, your family, and your job.
- Consult with your administrators about your application, to make sure that they are supportive. Courses usually meet from 4:30-7:15 p.m. on school days.
- Consider enrolling with colleagues from your school who are also committed to the goals of this program. (Each person must complete his/her own application.)
- Complete the application form, as well as the application to the University, follow the steps below.
- Applicants should plan to attend an Interview/Orientation shortly after the application deadline. Students will be notified by email.
Current & New Students: must apply to both the university, via Cal State Apply and the MA LACES program. These are separate applications, and admission to one does not guarantee admission to the other. Please complete steps 1 & 2 below to be considered for acceptance into the MA LACES Program.
A minimum 3.0 overall grade point average
Eligible for graduate admission at San Jose State University
A valid teaching credential
Regular access to children in a classroom
Prerequisite coursework is required in the following three areas:
- Second Language Acquisition (e.g., EDSC 162 or EDTE 262)
- Socio-Cultural Foundations of Education (e.g., EDEL 103, EDTE 208)
- Introduction to Literacy Instruction (e.g., EDEL 108A)
Additional Requirements for International Students (International Students may have earlier University document deadlines).
An interview with orientation will be scheduled after an initial evaluation of the application materials.
NOTE: GRE is not a requirement