The California Teacher Performance Assessment (CalTPA)
All elementary and secondary teacher candidates are required by the State of California
to pass an approved teacher performance assessment prior to applying for their preliminary
Multiple Subject or Single Subject Credential.
The Teacher Education Department at SJSU has adopted the California Teacher Performance Assessment (CalTPA) for our programs. Within your coursework and student teaching you will have many opportunities to engage in practice opportunities to prepare you for the CalTPA, and more importantly, classroom teaching.
California Teacher Performance Assessment, CalTPA, is structured around two full instructional cycles based on the pedagogical sequence of plan, teach and assess, reflect, and apply, each conducted within a school placement. The complete sequence will be addressed by each instructional cycle, with candidates providing evidence of instructional practice for each step. Teacher candidates will submit evidence of their work in a variety of forms, including annotated video clips and written narrative. As the CalTPA is designed to address subject-specific teaching and learning, candidates will be asked to respond to the instructional cycles within the context of their teaching assignments. Candidates will complete Instructional Cycle 1 within their phase 1 student teaching placement, and Instructional Cycle 2 within their phase 2 student teaching placement.
- Instructional Cycle 1 focuses on teacher candidates' abilty to plan and teach, and
- Instructional Cycle 2 focuses on a teacher candidates' abilty to design assessments and apply what is learned in those assessements in their subsequent lessons.
Together, these instructional cycles and the related rubrics will assess a range of the Teacher Performance Expectations.
In both Phase 1 and Phase 2 of student teaching, candidates will be asked to record and analyze video samples of their teaching using a secure video platform, Studio located on CANVAS, the SJSU course management system.
What is the cost of CalTPA?
- CalTPA will be submitted using the CTC/Pearson web-based platform. The cost is $150 per Cycle submission for a total of $300.
Spring 2020 CalTPA due dates
- Elementary -Multiple Subject Credential Program:
- Cycle I: Uploaded to Studio on Canvas by April 20; uploaded to Pearson by April 23 [by 11:59pm]
- Cycle II: Uploaded to Studio on Canvas by April 6; uploaded to Pearson April 9 [by 11:59pm]
- Secondary -Single Subject Credential Program:
- Cycle I: Uploaded to Studio on Canvas by May 4; uploaded to Pearson by May 6 [by 11:59pm]
- Cycle II: Uploaded to Studio on Canvas by May 4; uploaded to Pearson by May 6 [by 11:59pm]
- Permission to collect classroom video and student work products in multiple languages:
- Marianne Mehuys, Multiple Subject Program Coordinator
Kara Ireland D'Ambrosio, Secondary CalTPA Coordinator