CA Residency/AB 540

Will my admissions application be affected if I submit a false Social Security Number (SSN)?

If you’re eligible to apply to SJSU under AB 540, submit your information as an AB 540 student. Do not provide false information. A false SSN could be affect your application and your future.

Providing false information or utilizing unauthorized public benefits can be deemed grounds for denial of permanent residency in the future.

Is the information I submit on the AB 540 Affadavit confidential?

Your information remains confidential under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), a federal law that protects the privacy of a student's record. This means U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) do not have access to this information.

I’m eligible for AB 540. Am I also eligible for the California DREAM Act or DACA?

It depends. To learn about the eligibility requirements, visit SJSU’s DREAM acts page and DACA page.

Does it matter how long ago I graduated from high school to be eligible for AB 540?

You may be eligible as long as you graduated from a California high school or earned a GED. The amount of time between your graduation date and your SJSU admissions application is not a factor for AB 540 eligibility.

Does SJSU offer tuition payment plans to AB 540 students?

The university’s Installment Payment Plan (IPP) is available to all SJSU students, including AB 540 students. The IPP divides the amount owed into four installments, plus a non-refundable fee of $33.

Are AB 540 students eligible to receive assistance from SJSU counselors or services from the Student Health Center?

SJSU offers these services to all enrolled students, including AB 540 students:

Do all scholarships require a Social Security Number (SSN)?

You have a couple of options. Private scholarships may not require a SSN. In addition, any scholarship that appears to require a SSN may accept an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) instead.

I have a question for the SJSU’s Bursar's Office. Will I be required to show the bursar an ID card?

The only identification that the Bursar's Office requires is your Tower Card. All enrolled students are issued a Tower Card at no cost. For more information, visit the Tower Card website.

Can I take a semester off without having to resubmit an admissions application?

Unless you have been disqualified or dis-enrolled for non-payment of fees, you’re permitted to take one semester off from school and return without reapplying for admission. Download the Leave Request Form.

For more information, check the Bursar's Office website or call 408-924-1601.

What are the requirements to remain an enrolled student?

You will remain an enrolled student as long as your tuition is paid, your GPA is above what is required, you submit a Leave Request Form as needed, and you have not violated SJSU policies.