Paying for College

Establishing In-State Tuition

Students who are undocumented may be eligible to pay in-state tuition by qualifying for AB 540, AB2000 or SB 68. Students are not required to have a work permit (for example, DACA or TPS) to qualify for in-state tuition under AB 540/2000 or SB 68

California Non-Resident Tuition Exemption

Eligibility:The CSU Nonresident Tuition Exemption is open to CSU students enrolled as undergraduate or graduate students who are: 

  • U.S. Citizens
  • Permanent Residents
  • Undocumented Students
  • T and U Visa Holders Only
Meetign the requirement/ Attendance requirement (must meet one): 
  • Attended a high school (public or private) in California for three or more years, OR
  • If you graduated early from high school, you must show that you attained credits earned in California from a California high school equivalent to three or more years of full-time high school course work, and attended a combination of elementary, middle and/or high schools in California for a total of three or more years, OR
  • Attended or attained credits at a combination of California high school, California adult school, and California community college for the equivalent of 3 years or more.** 

**A year’s equivalence of attendance at a California community college is either a minimum of 24 semester units of credit or 54 quarter units. Only two (2) years of full time attendance in credit courses at the California community colleges will count towards the three (3) or more years of attendance. Full time attendance at a California adult school is a minimum of 420 hours of attendance for each school year. 



Submitting the Nonresident Tuition Exemption Form at SJSU

Students can submit the CSU Nonresident Tuition Exemption to the Office of the Registrar. Please note that you must also submit all official transcripts to demonstrate that you meet the AB540, AB 2000, or SB 68 requirements.

Visit the Residency section of the Office of the Registrar’s website website to learn more:

Note: Students are also welcome to reach out to the UndocuSpartan Resource Center to speak to someone directly if you’d like to learn more. 

Click here to learn more about AB 540 / AB 2000 / SB 68 and the California Dream Act | CSU


Financial Aid and the California Dream Act

The California Dream Act  (CADAA) allows undocumented and nonresident students (U.S. Citizens and eligible non-citizens) who qualify for a non-resident exemption under AB 540/ AB 2000/ SB 68 to receive certain types of financial aid such as: private scholarships funded through public universities, state administered financial aid, university grants, community college fee waivers, and Cal Grants.

  • Priority registration window: October 1st- March 2nd for the following academic school year. 
  • Apply online:
  • Students are not required to have a Social Security Number to submit the CADAA. Students without a SSN or students who have lost DACA status (or never applied for DACA) may be eligible to receive aid.


Additional CADAA Resources
Selective Service (Males only)
  • Males between the ages of 18-25, in most cases are required to register with the Selective Service System (SSS)
  • Males must register with Selective Services within 30 days of their 18th birthday.
  • To register for Selective Service, complete a paper “Selective Service Registration” form, which can be picked up at any U.S. Post Office or can be downloaded for print here: . KEEP A COPY.
    • Students with a Social Security Number can register at
    • You do not need to have a Social Security Number to register for Selective Service. The SSS does not share your immigration status. Related Links:

Related Links



Campus Scholarships:


Off-Campus Scholarship Resources: