UndocuAlly Training Program
In Spring 2018, the UndocuSpartan Student Resource Center (USRC) piloted the first UndocuAlly Training in collaboration with the Undergraduate Admissions and Outreach Office as well as the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office. The five-hour certification training gave faculty and staff the opportunity to engage in a series of activities and conversations that explored topics on immigration, educational access, and the lived realities of the undocumented community. In addition, participants were able to identify ways in which they can advocate for undocumented students within their departments and outside of the university.
Starting in Summer 2018, the USRC will continue to offer UndocuAlly Trainings for faculty and staff that wish to gain a deeper understanding of:
- The historical timeline of state and federal policies that impact undocumented people
- Personal experiences of undocumented youth in their community and at SJSU
- Information about resources for undocumented students at SJSU
- What it means to be an effective ally and champion for undocumented students
- Ways to collaborate with staff/department to address institutional barriers and share best practices
Faculty and staff who participate in this training will also join a visible network of SJSU UndocuAllies that seek to create and foster a supportive and safe environment for undocumented people.
If your department would like to request a shorter, modified training, contact Ana Navarrete, Program Coordinator, at (408) 924-3677 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that modified trainings do not replace the UndocuAlly Training Program; therefore, participants will not be able to receive a certificate of completion by only attending a modified training.