Volunteers are often used to supplement staff and faculty for projects or special events. While they are not paid, they are still part of the SJSU workforce and processes must be followed to bring one on board. They may not perform bargaining unit work and may not be appointed for longer than one year.
All volunteers must be in compliance with the CSU's COVID-19 Vaccination Interim Policy. If a volunteer accesses SJSU facilities/locations they are required to provide proof of their vaccination status before beginning volunteer work. It is the department's responsibility to notify the UP/Leave Management team should the volunteer status change to accessing campus. Volunteers may not access campus until the department has received approval from University Personnel.
Steps to Appoint a Faculty or Staff Volunteer
- Review volunteer duties with direct supervisor, work lead or department chair, and appropriate administrator
- Tell volunteer what they will be required to attach to the volunteer form:
- CV, Resume, or Work History
- Work Permit if under 18 years of age
- Complete the Volunteer Request Form [DocuSign]
- When approval to appoint volunteer is received from University Personnel, enter the
appropriate person and POI information in PeopleSoft (SJSU @ Work); see the Enter and Maintain POI Information [pdf] for step-by-step instructions
- The type of volunteer you key (00105/Volunteer or 00106/Faculty Volunteer) will be determined by the type of work the person does; the information will be on the form
- Enter or review the Emergency Contact information for the POI; see the Enter and Maintain Emergency Contact Information [pdf] for step-by-step instructions