Academic Department Governance
Department Chair Matters
- Selecting Department Chair Nominees
- University Policy F17-3 [pdf]
The 2020 CSU Online Department Chairs Workshop on the CSU Learn platform. Locate the 5 sessions by searching for “2020 CSU Online Department Chairs Workshop.” The recordings will appear together in the search results.
Department Voting Guidance
The faculty voting rights policy does not uniformly apply across the activities, committees, and elections faculty are expected to engage with. The following University Policies direct departments about eligibility of candidates, eligibility of voters, and how much each vote counts across the most prominent faculty-governed processes at SJSU.
Departments also elect representatives to college committees (e.g., Sabbatical, RTP) and department faculty participate in electing representatives to the University Sabbatical Leaves Committee and the University RTP Committee.
- RTP Committees: S15-7 [pdf]
- Recruitment Committees: S15-6 [pdf]
- Department Chairs: F17-3 [pdf]
- Difference-in-Pay Leaves: S96-8 [pdf]
- Departmental Voting Rights for other matters: S17-6 [pdf]
- Sabbatical Representatives: F08-4 [pdf]
- Exceptional Assigned Time Committee Representative: S15-1 [pdf]
- Electing Academic Senate Representatives [pdf]
There are many responsibilities associated with personnel committees (i.e., RTP, Range Elevation, Periodic Evaluation of Lecturers--annual and cumulative review, Periodic Evaluation of probationary--mini review--and tenured faculty--post tenure review). Department committees are also required for consideration of Difference in Pay Leaves and recruitment of new faculty.
- Confidentiality Agreement Form - RTP Committees [pdf]
- RTP Committee Training Slides - (coming)
- RTP Committee Training Video - (coming)
- Recruitment Committee Confidentiality Statement [pdf]
- Recruitment Committee Training Slides - (coming)
- Recruitment Committee Training Video - (coming)