Application Deadlines To Begin Your Studies in Fall 2024 (August)
- For Domestic Students: July 1, 2024.
- For International Students: April 1, 2024.
Note: we offer 'rolling admissions' and evaluate application materials as they are received. Applicants are encouraged to submit materials as soon as possible.
Application Deadlines To Begin Your Studies in Spring 2025 (January):
- For Domestic Students: December 1, 2024.
- For International Students: October 1, 2024.
- Note: we offer 'rolling admissions' and evaluate application materials as they are received. Applicants are encouraged to submit materials as soon as possible.
Financial Aid Information
The following information is for application to the Masters of Urban Planning or MA in Geography. (If you are interested in applying separately to one of our Advanced Certificate Programs, please contact the Graduate Advisor.)
Step 1. Take time to understand the process.
Please review the helpful "Want to Apply" guide as a starting point.
Step 2. Complete the CSU application form.
When you are ready to apply, fill out the Cal State Apply on-line application form by the deadlines listed above.
- The Master of Urban Planning (MUP) program at SJSU is listed within the online application under "Urban Planning."
- The Master of Arts (MA) in Geography is listed within the online application under Geography.
- The CSU Application Fee is $70.
- Waivers of the above fee are available under limited conditions. For more information, see the Application Fee Waiver page.
Step 3. Submit letters of recommendation.
Within Cal State Apply you must submit original and signed Letters of Recommendation that come from either university instructors who taught you, or supervisors who managed you in paid or volunteer work.
- The Master of Urban Planning application requires three letters.
- The Master of Arts in Geography application requires two letters.
It is highly recommended that at least one letter come from a former university instructor. If this is not possible, ask your letter writers to include an evaluation of your writing, teamwork, and analysis skills. Make sure to follow the detailed instructions.
Step 4. Submit a well-written statement of purpose.
Within Cal State Apply you will submit a Statement of Purpose (approximately 1.5 single-spaced typed pages) that indicates how a graduate degree will help you to achieve your career objectives and what motivates you to pursue graduate education in urban planning or geography. This statement should indicate which semester you are applying for and your current contact information, including mailing address, phone number, and e-mail address. If you have previously applied to the program and are re-applying, please indicate for which semester you previously applied.
Important: a well-written, clearly structured, spell-checked, grammar-checked and carefully proofread Statement of Purpose will make a favorable impression on our Admissions Committee members who read them very carefully. As well, please submit your CV/résumé with your statement.
If you have questions about the application process, please contact Admissions Director Rick Kos using this link.
The department offers seven Advanced Graduate Certificates, emphasizing different focus areas such as affordable housing, community development, environmental planning, geographic information science, real estate development, transportation, and urban design.
For questions about the Geographic Information Science certificate, please contact Dr. Ahoura Zandiatashbar using this link.
For all other certificates, please contact Rick Kos using this link.