General FAQ

General College Questions

Q: How do I apply?


Q: Who can attend San Jose State University?

Admission Requirements and Criteria:

  • Frosh - First-time freshman that has not taken any college courses after high school graduation (with the exception of courses taken the immediate summer after high school graduation).
  • Transfer - Student that has taken courses at another institution.
  • Former Student Returning - Previous SJSU student that has not attended SJSU for at least two consecutive semesters.  Student will apply as an upper-division transfer.  If student was disqualified from SJSU he/she will also need to submit a Reinstatement Petition for Undergraduate Studies from the Office of the Registrar.
  • Post-baccalaureate/Second Bachelor's - SJSU is not accepting post-baccalaureate applicants in any major program (except for Nursing). A post-baccalaureate student has earned a bachelor's degree and is seeking to complete another bachelor's degree.
  • Graduate - student that has earned a bachelor's degree and is seeking an SJSU master's program, professional degree or credential.
  • International - student studying on an F1 or J1 Visa.


Q: May I attend San Jose State University if I am not a resident of California?

  • San Jose State University admits nonresident students. Nonresident students are charged an additional amount for tuition which is based on the actual cost of instruction.


Q: How is California residency determined?

  • San Jose State University determines student residency status according to state laws and regulations that specify the residency standards.
  • The legal definition of California residency requires at least one year of physical presence in this state, coupled with the capability and the intent to make California your permanent home.
  • However, if you have initially been classified as a nonresident, you will be required to demonstrate that you have been financially independent for at least three years before being reclassified as a resident.
  • There are additional provisions covering special cases. Contact the Registrar’s office personnel for more information.


Q: May I complete my first two years of undergraduate study at a community college?

  • Yes. Many community college offer courses that meet lower-division (first two years) requirements of a four-year college or university.
  • A college counselors and advisors can help you plan your community college program to make sure that the courses you select are transferable.
  • You should also refer to the catalog of the college or university to which you plan to transfer and check its requirements, especially in your major subject.
  • The transfer center or counseling office at a community college will be able to advise you.

General FAQ

Military Service Credit Questions

Q: Can I apply for credit for my military service?

  • Yes. Veterans who have been honorably discharged, and those on active duty, can apply to earn college credit for serving in the U.S. Armed Forces.


Q: What is the process to apply this credit to my transcript?

  • Students seeking credit for military service must first attend San Jose State University.
  • Student veterans are eligible to apply for military service credit. A student must bring a copy of their DD 214 to Irene Ho:  irene.ho@sjsu.edu in the Registrar’s Office.


Q: Credit for Military Training in Non-Collegiate Settings

SJSU grants undergraduate degree credit for successful completion of non-collegiate instruction, either military or civilian, as recommended by the Commission on Educational Credit and Credentials of the American Council on Education. The number of units allowed is based on the recommendation in the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experience in the Armed Services and the National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs.

Six semester units of credit are awarded for being on active duty for at least one year in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines or Coast Guard. Three of these units can be used to complete Area E of the CSU General Education Program, two units will apply to the physical education requirement for SJSU graduation, and one unit is applied toward elective credit.

Documents that should be submitted to assess credit for military education are:

       Joint Service Transcripts (JTS; Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard)

       Community College of the Air Force transcript (CCAF)

       DD-214 (or DD-295 for students still in the military)

SJSU also awards credit for College Level Education Program (CLEP) subject examinations. The specific credit for the 37 different CLEP exams can be found under credit by exam: http://info.sjsu.edu/static/catalog/cbe.html

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions will assist you with questions you may have about transfer credit to determine your student level and admission eligibility.

Contact office:

Office of Admissions and Outreach (Undergraduate)
One Washington Square
San José, CA. 95192-0016
Phone: 408-283-7500
Email: eval@sjsu.edu


Q: What is a zero percent (0%) service-connected disability rating??
A: An injury or disease incurred in or aggravated by active military, naval or air service that the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has determined to be service-connected, but not severe enough to be compensated. Less than 10 percent is non-compensable.

Fee Waiver/Cal-Vet Fee Waiver Program

Q: What is the tuition fee waiver program?

  • It is a State educational program that is available for dependents and survivors of service-connected, disabled or deceased veterans, it allows them to attend State funded institutions of higher learning tuition free.


Q: My deceased spouse was a disabled veteran, am I eligible for the tuition fee waiver program?

  • Only if he was 100% service-connected disabled, or he died of a service-connected disability. You may also qualify if he died on active duty.


Q: I am eligible for educational benefits from the VA, can I still use the state tuition fee waiver program?

  • If you are a spouse or widow who has not remarried, you cannot use the programs concurrently. If you are a dependent/survivor child you may use both programs concurrently if you can meet the annual income limit.


Q: I have been approved to receive a fee waiver. I have a letter from the VA stating this approval, what do I need to do with this letter in order to get my tuition fees waived?

  • After your County V.A. issues you a letter - Check with the Veteran Services Office to see if we have received the letter as well. If not, you may have to hand deliver a copy of your letter to the Veterans Resource Center or email to: veterans@sjsu.edu

Veterans Benefits

Q: What are Dependent's Educational Assistance Benefits?

  • This program also known as Chapter 35, provides education benefits for the spouse and dependent children of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled from service connected causes, veterans who died in service or who died of service connected causes, and certain other veterans and serviceperson's, such as those currently missing in action or captured in the line of duty. This benefit may be used for pursuit of a college degree, courses leading to a certificate or diploma from business, technical or vocational schools, apprenticeship and on-the-job training programs. Benefits for correspondence courses are available to spouses only. The program provides up to 45 months of education or training.


Q: Who is Eligible for the Dependents and Survivors Educational Assistance Program-CH35?

  • This program provides financial aid for the education of a dependent or surviving son, daughter, or spouse of a veteran with a 100% permanent and total service-connected disability who dies from any cause, a service person missing in action or a veteran who is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.


Q: I am a new/transfer student; I have/have not received VA benefits before and would like to apply for benefits at this school. What should I do?

  • Apply online through VonApp to obtain your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for benefits. Once you receive your COE, please bring that along with your DD-214 to the Military and Veteran Services Office (ADM 265). Apply via VONAPP


Q: I registered for classes, now what?

  • Once you have registered for classes, it is the responsibility of the student to notify the Military and Veteran Services Office in a timely manner to avoid delays in payment.


Q: I am adding/dropping classes and this will change my enrollment status, what should I do?

  • Changing status means to go from full time to half time, half time to full time, or any other combination (full time is 12 or more units, ¾ time is 9-11 units, 1/2 time is 6-8 units). Ex: If you dropped from 16 to 12 units, which is still at full time, you do not need to do anything. If you added or dropped units that place you in a status other than you reported, you must notify the Certifying Official in the Military and Veteran Services Office to change enrollment certification.


Q: I am changing my major or changing schools and have used my benefits before. What do I need to fill out?

  • Fill out a “Request for Change of Program or Place of Training" form on your ebenefits account:  www.ebenefits.va.gov
  • Must notify the VA Certifying Official of your plan change at SJSU and bring a copy of your newly updated Educational Plan, or major "Roadmap" 


Q: How long does it take to get my check after I verify enrollment?

  • The quickest way to receive your payment is by using direct deposit. Your benefit can be deposited into your checking or savings account in 3 to 5 days. If you choose to have a check mailed (not recommended due to delays or losses, which can occur), you can expect payment in 10-14 days. If you are a Serviceperson, Veteran or a Reservist, your Direct Deposit can be started or updated by using the WAVE system.


Q: What is the earliest date to verify my attendance in school?

  • The earliest you can verify your enrollment is the last calendar day of each month. Some things you can do to speed up your payments is to verify your enrollment promptly at the end of each month and sign up for direct deposit, if you have not already done so.