WAC Program Highlights
Did You Know?
In its first five years, the Writing Across the Curriculum program:
- Has offered more than thirty different workshops/seminars, many of them multiple times.
- Has worked with 20 different faculty members to design, develop, and offer workshops/seminars.
- Has worked with 15 different faculty members to propose and develop research and resource projects.
- Has welcomed more than 250 faculty members at our seminars and workshops.
- Has consulted with various departments and units across campus on writing-related issues ranging from assessment to program and course design.
- Has grown from an annual budget of less than $5,000 a year in faculty stipends to $40,000 a year in stipends.
WAC Program Highlights – AY17-18
We had a big year this year, offering a variety of workshops and seminars, and supporting a number of research and resource projects. Here are the details:
One-Day “Drop-In” Workshops:
- Writing About Current Societal Events and Challenges
- Reimagining Writing Assignments: A Series of Hands-On Workshops
- Beginning eCampus Resources for Writing Instructors -- A Series of Four Workshops
Multi-Week Intensive Seminars:
- Annotated Bibliography: Addressing Challenges of Writing about Professional Sources
- What We Talk About When We Talk About Teaching Writing Across the Curriculum
- Advanced eCampus Resources for Writing Instructors -- A Five-Week Seminar
- Developing Guides to Writing In Your Discipline -- Part 1
Research and Resource Projects:
- Instructor Guides to Common Multilingual Writing Errors: Mandarin — English, Spanish — English, Vietnamese — English Guide
- Essential On-The-Job Communication Skills Business Students Should Master: A Syllabus Playbook for New 100WB Instructors
- 6 faculty members developed and delivered workshops and seminars.
- 5 faculty members proposed and developed research and resource projects.
- 75 faculty members participated in WAC workshops and seminars.
In total, in our first four years, the Writing Across the Curriculum program:
- Has offered 14 different workshops/seminars.
- Has worked with 11 faculty members to design, develop, and offer workshops/seminars.
- Has worked with 7 faculty members to propose and develop research and resource projects.
- Has welcomed 160 faculty members at our seminars and workshops.
WAC Research and Resource Project Authors, AY17-18
Francisco De La Calle
Ching Ching Tan
Kendall Barrett Sooter
WAC Seminar Graduates, AY17-18