Access to SpartaJobs, the SJSU student job and internship database, for all faculty/staff is planned for implementation in Winter 2017. If you'd like to know what job/internship opportunities are available on SpartaJobs, please contact your Career Center college liaison.
How to Utilize the Career Center
The Career Center is pleased to partner with faculty to support our students’ success. We offer a variety of innovative resources that can support developed coursework or that can be integrated into your curriculum as a homework assignment or a class activity.
Our mission is to help students become self-aware of the knowledge and skills acquired through their academics at SJSU (University Learning Goals) and to complement this knowledge with experiences outside of the classroom, ultimately leading them to realize their career aspirations. We also help students learn how to articulate and demonstrate their professional brand to future employers through: resumes, interview preparation, portfolio development and networking opportunities.
Here are 4 ways to utilize the Career Center:
- Promote Career Center Resources to Your Students
- Request a Classroom Presentation
- Integrate Career Education in Your Curriculum
- Collaborate with the Career Center
If you would like to integrate career resources into your classroom, you can do so by promoting the following to your students:
- Share the career center commercial: “Sammy Goes To Work” (2 minutes)
- Introduce students to jobs/internships through SpartaJobs (powered by Handshake) to find opportunities related to their areas of interest and major
- Share our Program Calendar to connect with our workshops, events, and advising hours
- Review the SpartaTrack Career Plan with your students to identify key resources and activities based on common topics and in developmental order
- Share Resources by Major to help students explore career options
- Introduce our website/online resources:
|Find a Job/Internship||Interviewing|
|Resume/Cover Letter||Receiving an Offer|
Fill out the Workshop Request Form to request a Career Center representative to conduct a workshop for your class.
Here are some guidelines/expectations:
- A 2-week lead time is required before the requested date
- One request is allowed per class (please contact us if you have multiple sections)
- At least 20 people expected to attend
- Requests are filled on a first-come, first-served basis
- Career Center staff may not be available for presentations 2 weeks prior to our job fairs (see our program calendar for dates)
Common presentation topics include:
- Overview of Career Center Services
- Exploring Majors/Careers
- Job/Internship Search Tips and Resources
- Networking/Job Fair Success
- LinkedIn & Social Media in the Job Search
- Resumes/Cover Letters
- Interviewing Tips
- Professionalism in the Workplace
Presentations can be tailored, please specify on form what you want customized.
Whether you are teaching a 100W, First Year Experience or Senior Capstone course, we are happy to help support your curriculum with career related materials and resources. Common integration has included assignments related to: resume writing, self-assessment and career exploration activities, personal branding (LinkedIn/Social Media/Portfolios), infusion of preparatory videos/presentations on various career topics and transferable skills discussions.
Feel free to contact us with any requests for collaboration with resources/presentations on career related topics. Additionally, share with us your best practices around career related activities, we’d love to receive your feedback and that of students (email: email@example.com).
We are always looking to work with faculty/staff to best serve our students. Here are different ways to collaborate with us.
Help you market your career-related events, courses, or groups through our:
- Bi-weekly newsletter emails tailored to each college
- Social media channels: Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Presentations and drop-in hours if relevant to students
Contributing to our resources and services by relaying:
- Job/internship sites, tips, and resources to our Resources by Major section
- Direct employers to the Career Center for recruiting services
- Professional development opportunities for students
- Student needs for specific populations
Contact your Career Center college liaison for more information.
Have questions, suggestions, or resources for students? Contact us! We welcome your expertise and knowledge and are happy to collaborate with you to better serve our students.
Find your Career Center college liaison:
- College of Business: firstname.lastname@example.org
- College of Engineering: email@example.com
- College of Education: firstname.lastname@example.org (new liaison TBD)
- College of Social Sciences, College of Humanities & Arts: email@example.com
- College of Applied Sciences & Arts, College of Science: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Undeclared/General (liaison for non-college associated staff): email@example.com