CPA Firm Recruitment Guide: Research
The most important thing you can do to prepare for the job fair is to acquire a list of attending employers and choose which employers you're interested in. The best idea is to target a handful of employers rather than try to prepare for all employers in attendance. By narrowing your scope you can do research and maximize your knowledge about each of the organizations you approach. Knowing these firms will also help you in preparing your resume and cover letter. Much of this information can be found on their website, doing wiki searches, or news searches.
What to research about Accounting Firms:
- History of the company - founding, growth history, size, locations, mission, vision, etc.
- What is the firm best known for? What is their reputation?
- What is the structure of the firm?
- What positions are they hiring for?
- What's in the job description?
- What services are being offered?
- What is happening in the industry? Do a news search!
- Who are this company's competitors?
- Who are this firm's clients?
- What has this company been recently recognized for (awards, etc)?
If you know the answers to these questions, you will be able to infuse some of this information in to your interactions with employers at the fair.
Tip: As you research companies, you can create a "study sheet" for each company. This will allow you to brush up on the details for each company as you wait in line to see them at the fair. For more tips on researching employers, check out our Researching Employers webshop and resource page.
Next: Designing Your Resume