Where to Start
Can't figure out where to start?
- Seek out companies that hire interns and co-op students full-time after graduation.
- Don't wait until your senior year; having multiple co-ops or internships prior to
graduation demonstrates professional motivation.
- Choose an internship or co-op with clearly defined duties that correspond to your
major at a pre-professional level.
- Conduct research on prospective employers and be ready to ask questions during the
- Make sure your assignments have the possibility of becoming increasingly challenging.
- Discuss your learning objectives with your prospective supervisor during the interview.
- Ask to be guided by a professional in the field.
- Make sure that your performance will be evaluated and that you will receive feedback
during and after your assignment.
- Consider size. Both large and small organizations have pros and cons. It's up to you
to determine what works best for you.