Apply for jobs & internships targeted to SJSU students. Thousands of new opportunities are posted each month!
Make appointments for help on career exploration, resume/cover letters, interview preparation, and more.
Join events to gain strategies for building your career.
Attend job fairs & info sessions to network with employers.
Stay updated with opportunities in our weekly newsletters.
Check out our video tutorials to get quick tips on SJSU Handshake.
Review the SJSU Handshake user acknowledgement and disclaimer in our policies.
- Students do not need to create an account and are able to access SJSU Handshake within one week of registering for classes. If you are unable to log in, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Recent alumni retain access for one year after graduation.
2. Fill out your career interests
- Click your name on the top menu and select Career Interests.
- Fill out the survey completely to get customized news, events, and opportunities.
3. Set up your profile
- Your profile is the basis of your job search in SJSU Handshake. Click your name on the top menu and select My Profile.
- To hide your GPA while keeping profile public, click on the icon next to Primary Education, and select Hide from Employers.
- To upload a resume, go to the Documents box and click Upload. Click Feature on Profile if you want your resume to be viewable to top employers.
- The default setting of your profile is public to employers. To make your profile private, click your name on the top menu, select Settings and Privacy, and deselect Allow employers to be able to find and view my profile.
- Note: If your profile is public, employers, including third-party staffing agencies, may view your profile and contact you for positions even if you have not applied to their positions in SJSU Handshake.
4. Search for jobs & internships
- Click Jobs on the top menu.
- For more information on job and internship search strategies, download the SJSU Handshake Quick Reference (PDF).
Tips for Success
- Fill out your profile completely. Recruiters will be able to quickly screen your qualifications. Note: Work experience will be automatically placed in reverse chronological order.
- For your resume, use a well-developed, general resume as your public "default" resume. The Career Center can help you build that resume.
- Create efficient searches. Job postings are targeted to groups of related majors, so search for jobs under major groups that commonly fit in the career field in which you are interested. You can also select Match All Employer Preferences to narrow down positions for which you are most qualified.
- Customize your News Feed for relevant opportunities. Follow specific companies by clicking Jobs on the top menu, then Employers. Select your search criteria, click your desired employer, and click Favorite Employer at the top.
The answers to the following questions are directed to Handshake's support page at support.joinhandshake.com.
- How do I save a search?
- The Resource Library
- Viewing Appointments
- What does it mean if my profile is public?
- How do I add (upload) a new document?
- How do I edit or delete a document?
- My major (or minor) is missing or incorrect
- How do I search for jobs?
- How do I apply for a job?
- How to Follow a Job
- How do I view the employers who will be at an upcoming career fair?
For additional information such as our SJSU Handshake disclaimer regarding fraudulent postings and employers' access to your public profile and documents (ex. resume), click here.