Art 24 |
Bay Area Museums and Galleries
For free tickets to San Jose Museum of Art, UC Berkeley Art Museum and The Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, CLICK HERE and look on the left column under Museum Tickets. You will need an SJSU Library Card.
GALLERIES/San Francisco & East Bay
GALLERIES / South Bay
Supplies On Line:
Artist Images Online
Art in Popular Culture
Movies about artists (Hollywood and Independent)
Note: Some of these movies are more historically accurate than others, some are total fiction, some are more or less well written, acted or directed but all are worth watching for visuals.
- Rembrandt 1936. Charles Laughton as Rembrandt van Rijn.
- The Agony and the Ecstasy 1956. An old Hollywood classic based on the Irving Stone novel about Michaelangelo (played by Charlton Heston)
- Lust for Life 1956. Classic Hollywood movie based on an Irving Stone novel about Vincent Van Gogh (Kirk Douglas) and Paul Gauguin (Anthony Quinn).
- The Horse's Mouth 1958. An old classic movie starring Alec Guinness who plays a crotchety Abstract-Expressionist painter; based on the novel by Joyce Carey.
- Andrei Rublev 1966. By Russian filmmaker Andrei Tarkovski loosly based on the 15th century Russian icon painter.
- Basquiat 1986. A movie about Jean Michelle Basquiat by painter Julian Schnabel
- Camille Claudel 1988. A beautiful and painful film about artist Camille Claudel and her relationship with sculptor Auguste Rodin (Gérard Depardieu) in French.
- My Left Foot 1989. Daniel Day-Lewis is amazing as Irish painter, writer, Christy Brown.
- Vincent & Theo 1990. A movie directed by Robert Altman that focuses on the close relationship between Vincent Van Gogh (Tim Roth) and his brother Theo.
- Impromptu 1991. A really fun romantic comedy set in 1830's France about writer George Sand (Judy Davis), composer Frederic Chopin (Hugh Grant), painter Eugene Delacroix, among others.
- Carrington 1995. Relationship between painter Dora Carrigton (1893-1932, played by Emma Thompson) and author Lytton Strachey.
- Surviving Picasso 1996. Based on the Ariana Huffington book. Picasso is played by Anthony Hopkins
- I Shot Andy Warhol 1996. Lili Taylor is great (and quirky) in this movie based on the true story of Valerie Solanas, a radical who attempted to murder Andy Warhol in 1968.
- Artemesia 1997. About painter Artemesia Gentileschi (1593-1653)
- Goya in Bordeaux 1999. Last years of Francisco Goy (1746-1828) in Spanish
- Pollock 2000 Directed by Ed Harris, who also plays Jackson Pollock. Marcia Gay Harden plays Lee Krasner.
- Frida 2002. Selma Hayek plays Frida Kahlo and Alfred Molina is Diego River. (The book, Frida, is amazing but I haven't seen this movie yet.)
- Max 2002. Set in troubled post-WWI Germany, this tells the story of an art dealer (John Cusack) and a young,aspiring painter, Adolf Hitler - intense, ambitious and ultimately diabolical.
- Girl with a Pearl Earring 2003. Based on the novel by Tracy Chevalier about Vermeer. Stars Colin Firth and Scarlett Johansson. Can get a bit sappy but very visually beautiful especially the scene about grinding paints.
- Goya's Ghosts 2006. Director Milos Forman, stars Javier Bardem and Natalie Portman. Very beautiful visually.
- Art School Confidential 2006. A very funny black comedy about art schools.
- Untitled 2009. A story of two brothers, a musician and painter. A brilliant and hilarious take on the artworld.
- Exit Through the Giftshop 2010, a film by Banksy, "the worlds first street art disaster movie"