English for Specific Purposes
- English Grammar and Technical Writing. Washington DC: US State Department, 2004. [Revised version of Science, Medicine, and Technology: English Grammar and Technical Writing. Prentice Hall, 1986a]
- Responses to ESP. US State Department, 2000. PDF File.
- Science, Medicine, and Technology: English Grammar and Technical Writing, Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1986a. [Revised as English Grammar and Technical Writing, 2004. See above.]
- Let your subject do the work (1998). In Master, P. & Brinton, D. (Eds.) New Ways in ESP, Alexandria, VA: TESOL.
Refereed Journal Articles
- 1998 Positive and negative aspects of the dominance of English. TESOL Quarterly 32,4:716-727.
Reviews in Refereed Journal Articles
- 1991b ESP methodology: is there such a thing? Strani Jezici (Foreign Languages) 20, 4:263-267, Zagreb, Croatia
- Oct. 1997 Content-Based Instruction vs ESP. PDF File.
- Jun. 1992 Introducing ESP (reprinted in URUTESOL Newsletter 6:49, 1993)
- 1981 - 2004 "English for Specific Purposes", a column in the CATESOL News
- Jun. 1995 Developing Appropriate Schemata for Business Concepts
- Mar. 1992 English for Tourism
- Jun. 1991 Content-Based Instruction for Resident College-Level ESL Students
- Dec. 1990 EAP Comes to CSU
- Dec. 1988 English and Computers: A Modified Adjunct Course
- Mar. 1988 Reading and Content in ESP
- Oct. 1987 ESP in Saudi Arabia
- Jun. 1986 ESP at the Anaheim Convention
- Oct. 1985 The Future of ESP
- Aug. 1985 The Development of ESP
- Mar. 1985 A Continental View of ESP: A Conversation with Hugo Baetens-Beardsmore
- Jun. 1984 ESP at the Houston Convention
- Mar. 1984 Occupation-Specific VESL
- Dec. 1983 English for Aphasics
- Oct. 1983 In Defense of ESP
- Aug. 1983 Medical English
- May 1983 ESP at the Toronto Convention
- Mar. 1983 Computer Programming and ESP
- Dec. 1982 Developing Aural Comprehension Skills in ESP
- Oct. 1982 Vocational ESL (VESL)
- Aug. 1982 ESP at the (Honolulu) TESOL Convention
- May 1982 Teaching Academic ESP Reading Skills
- Dec. 1981 Writing in the Academic ESP Class
- Oct. 1981 The Rationale for Teaching ESP
- May 1981 ESP at the Detroit Convention
- 04/27/08 International Conference on English Education, "ESP, CBI, and the Role of Grammar, " Shih Chien University, Taipei, Taiwan.
- 12/03/06 Fourth Saudi Technical Conference and Exhibition, "ESP, CBI, and the Role of Grammar, " Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- 04/25/06 TESOL Ukraine Conference, "ESP, CBI, and the Role of Grammar, " Kamyanets-Podilsky, Ukraine.
- 03/11/00 American Association of Applied Linguistics (AAAL), "Information Structure and Relative Clause Reduction," Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- 08/05/96 International Association of Applied Linguistics (AILA), "Positive and Negative Aspects of the Dominance of English," (Symposium: "Critical Issues in ESP Teaching" with V. Bhatia, H. Collins, H. Drury, T. Dudley-Evans, L. Hamp-Lyons, N. Markee, and M. St. John), University of Jyväskylä, Finland.
- 03/22/96 17th Annual GERAS (Groupe d'Étude et de Recherche en Anglais de Spécialité), "Nomenclature in ESP" (plenary address), Université de Provence Aix-Marseille I , Aix-en-Provence, France.
- 12/08/93 Conference of Teachers of English in Trade and Commerce Higher Education Institutions in Russia,"Some Contemporary Issues in Teaching ESP," Institute of Commerce, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia.
- 12/03/93 TESOL Conference, "Some Contemporary Issues in ESP" (plenary address), Moscow, Russia.
- 03/05/92 TESOL Convention, "Issues in Academic ESP" (with Kay Westerfield), Vancouver, B.C, Canada.
- 09/29/90 Seventh Yugoslav Conference on ESP, "The Varieties of ESP", Belgrade, Yugoslavia.
- 09/29/90 Seventh Yugoslav Conference on ESP, "The History and Development of EST," Belgrade, Yugoslavia.
- 09/27/90 Seventh Yugoslav Conference on ESP, "Grammar in EST", Belgrade, Yugoslavia.
- 09/27/90 Seventh Yugoslav Conference on ESP, "ESP Methodology: Is There Such a Thing?" Belgrade, Yugoslavia.
- 04/15/87 USIS Dhahran Conference on Teaching ESL in Saudi Arabia's Eastern Province, "The History of EST," Al-Khobar, Saudi Arabia.
- 04/06/87 USIS-TESL Conference,"ESP Methodology," Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
- 03/21/98 TESOL Convention,"MAT with an ESP Emphasis," Seattle, WA.
- 03/20/98 TESOL Convention, "ESP Teacher Preparation in the U.S.," (Colloquium:"ESP Teacher Preparation" with A. Celani, Brazil, M. Daoud, Tunisia, A. Johns, San Diego State University, and M. Memet, France), Seattle, WA.
- 04/17/97 Parasession on Pragmatics & English for Specific Purposes in Academic and Workplace Contexts, "ESP Component of a MATESL Program," (Invited Speaker for Panel Discussion: "ESP Teacher Preparation" with Liz England and Tom Heenan), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- 03/12/97 TESOL Convention,"English for Specific Purposes" (Research Fair with T. Dudley-Evans, University of Birmingham, J. Flowerdew, City University of Hong Kong, and B. Paltridge, University of Waikato), Orlando, FL.
- 03/12/97 TESOL Convention, "Content-based ESL and ESP: Definitions and boundaries" (with K. Westerfield, University of Oregon), Orlando, FL.
- 03/27/96 TESOL Convention,"Issues in ESP Materials Development" (Academic Session: "Issues in ESP Materials Development" with E. Lites, Boulder Economics Institute, T. Adams, U. of Pennsylvania, Marcia Leroy, independent consultant, and I. Mansoor, REEP), Chicago, IL.
- 03/27/96 TESOL Convention, "Grammar in ESP" (Breakfast Seminar: "Communicative Grammar Teaching" with M. Celce- Murcia, UCLA, P. Byrd, Georgia State U., and E. Olshtain, Hebrew University), Chicago, IL.
- 03/09/94 TESOL Convention, "Directions in ESP Research" (Academic Session: Co-chair with Tony Dudley-Evans), Baltimore, MD.
- 04/15/93 TESOL Convention, "A Contrastive Study of Determiner Usage in EST Research Articles," Atlanta, GA.
- 03/26/91 TESOL Convention, "The Development of EST" (Colloquium: "ESP: The Fourth Decade," (Chair), New York, NY.
- 03/08/90 TESOL Convention, "Inanimate Subjects with Active Verbs in Scientific Prose," San Francisco, CA.
- 04/22/87 TESOL Convention, "The Mechanism of Noun Compounding," Miami, FL.
- 05/05/82 TESOL Convention, "EST in the Classroom," Honolulu, HI.
- 04/26/98 CATESOL State Conference,"Grammar in ESP," Colloquium: The Many Roles of Grammar in Communicative Language Teaching, with D. Brinton, UCLA, M. Celce-Murcia (Convener), UCLA, S. Hilles, CSU Pomona, C. Holten, UCLA, A. Strauch, and R. Young, Pasadena, CA.
- 04/21/85 CATESOL State Conference,"Colloquium on ESP (ESP Strand)," (Chair), San Diego, CA.
- 03/12/82 CATESOL State Conference, "Grammatical Devices for Compressing Language in EST," Sacramento, CA.
- 04/03/81 CATESOL State Conference, "Teaching English for Science and Technology through Technical Writing," Monterey, CA.
- 10/08/83 CATESOL Regional Conference, "First Colloquium on ESP" (Chair), Dominican College, San Rafael, CA.
- 10/24/81 CATESOL Regional Conference, "Grammatical Devices for Compressing Language in EST," College of Marin, Kentfield, CA.
- 11/01/80 CATESOL Regional Conference, "Teaching English for Science and Technology," University of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA.
Back to Top
Back to Peter Master's homepage