The Professional Science Master of Biotechnology Program (MBT) was founded in 2003 in the Biological Sciences Department at San José State University with support from a grant from the Sloan Foundation. The MBT program integrates advanced, hands-on training in laboratory-based biotechnologies with MBA-level business courses from the College of Business. The Department of Biological Sciences is highly regarded in the Silicon Valley for providing outstanding laboratory-based training, and the College of Business is ranked in the top 15% of Business Schools in the country.
Through elective choices, students supplement the core program with additional hands-on science or MBA courses to support their career goals. MBT program graduates are highly trained individuals who have had direct exposure to the biotechnology corporate world and are ready to make immediate contributions to biotechnology companies. Graduates work in a variety of positions in research, product development, marketing, regulatory affairs, clinical affairs, project management, quality, and others.
|Sign up for email notifications||Program Website|
- Small Class Sizes
Classes are kept small (typically limited to no more than 20 to 30 students) to provide personalized mentoring for each student.
- Flexible Class Times
Most classes are in the evenings or late afternoons to fit work schedules.
- Great Opportunities
Students have completed summer internships for over 25 different biotech companies, including Genentech, Genencor, Affymetrix, Agilent Life Sciences, Abbott, Roche, Applied Biosystems, and others.
SJSU is in close proximity to over 400 biotechnology companies located in Silicon Valley.
- Exceptional Faculty
The program has outstanding faculty, including tenured professors and individuals from the biotechnology industry.
Your Career Opportunities
The MBT program leads to a professional science master's degree. The program is well established and has graduated over 100 students, who have secured jobs in positions ranging from research associate to product manager to market analyst in the biotech or pharmaceutical industries.
To learn more about professional science career paths, visit www.npsma.org.
Alumni work in a variety of positions such as: Research Associate, Regulatory Affairs Associate, Market Analyst, Clinical Research Associate, Patent Affairs Associate, Marketing, Project Management, Sales, Human Resources, Product Development.
You can learn more at the Alumni page.
Applying to the Program
Formal admission is required for the program. You can apply for admission in the fall semester.
- An appropriate curriculum of prerequisite courses leading to a 4-year BA/BS in Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Molecular Biology, Engineering or a related field or a 3-year BS/BA plus a master's degree. In some cases, pre-requisites can be taken during the program.
- A preferred GPA of 3.0 or above. Work or other experience can compensate to some extent for a lower GPA.
- GRE General Test scores. The preferred General GRE scores are above 450 on Verbal Reasoning, above 650 on Quantitative Reasoning and 4.2 on Analytical Writing. New Exam: Combined minimum GRE score of 297, minimum GRE verbal score of 153 and minimum writing score of 4.5.
- TOEFL scores, if applicable. The minimum TOEFL score is 250 on the computer-based exam and 100 on the IBT of recommendation. Alternatively, an IELTS score of at least 8 is required.
- A one-page "Statement of Purpose"
- A resume
- Two letters of recommendation
For more information, please visit MBT website.