Jennifer Huynh Thi Anh Morrison, Ph.D.
Lecturer, Undergraduate Advisor, & CFA Department Representative
Department of Communication Studies
Schedule an Advising Appointment
PLEASE READ OVER ALL STEPS BEFORE BOOKING YOUR APPOINTMENT. My fall advising appointments are scheduled on Mondays and Wednesdays from 10:30am-12:30pm (PST). If you see a different time, please adjust your Google calendar setting. Please read about changing your Google Calendar timezone at https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/37064?hl=en.
I do not discuss GE advising. All general education (GE) advising questions should be directed to a GE advisor in the ACCESS Success Center (Clark Hall Room 240), http://www.sjsu.edu/access/.
STEP 1: SELECT A 30-MINUTE TIME SLOT
You are allowed to choose one appointment time slot each month to ensure each Communication Studies student has the opportunity to see an advisor or instructor. You are responsible for canceling your appointment 24 hours prior to your appointment time.
STEP 2: BRING APPROPRIATE FORMS
All forms noted below can be found at http://www.sjsu.edu/registrar/forms/.
HOW TO BECOME A COMM MAJOR OR MINOR?Click HERE to learn more about the program and the requirements to become a COMM major or minor. Please print out and bring a CHANGE OR MAJOR/MINOR FORM to your advising appointment.
- You need to attach an unofficial transcript, personal statement, graduation application, and minor graduation paperwork to your “90 units or more” change of major/minor form. You only need to attach an unofficial transcript when completing the “fewer than 90 units” change of major/minor form.
NEED EXCESS UNITS?You will need to bring an EXCESS UNITS PETITION to your appointment if you meet the requirements and date regulations.
NEED TO APPLY FOR GRADUATION?Please bring your GRADUATION APPLICATION and a completed My Major Plan or My Minor Plan with you to your appointment.
- IF YOU HAVE A MINOR, you will need to meet with your minor advisor to complete all minor paperwork before you apply for graduation with your major advisor. Please bring your minor completion paperwork in a SIGNED SEALED ENVELOPE along with your graduation application and your completed My Major Plan to your advising appointment.
ALREADY APPLIED FOR GRADUATION?You will need to pick up your GRADUATION PAPERWORK from the department office (HGH 108) before meeting with a major advisor. You should also contact your GRADUATION EVALUATOR if you have not received your GRADUATION WORKSHEET.
NEED TO SUBSTITUTE MAJOR/MINOR COURSE WORK?Complete a SUBSTITUTION FORM and email the substitution form to your advisor. There is not need to schedule an appointment or meet with an advisor to complete substitution forms.
STEP 3: WHERE TO FIND ME?
My office is located in the Hugh Gillis Hall Room 201. Please use the campus map to locate Hugh Gillis Hall (HGH), http://www.sjsu.edu/parkingtransportationmaps/index.html.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Communication, Univ Of Denver, Colorado, United States, 2010
- Master of Arts, Communication, CSU-San Jose, California, United States, 2003
I teach a variety of communication courses ranging from public speaking to intercultural communication in the department of Communication Studies at San José State University. I received my Ph.D. in Communication and Culture from the department of Human Communication Studies at the University of Denver. My dissertation is titled, Authenticating Người Mỹ Gốc Việt: Vietnamese Americans and the Struggle for Identity. In 2003, I received my Master’s of Arts in Intercultural Communication from the department of Communication Studies at San José State University. My master's thesis focuses on multiraciality and identity. Before my graduate work, I received my Bachelor’s of Arts in Speech Communication from San José State University.
- Department of Communication Studies
- COMM Studies Undergrad Advisors (for majors & minors)
- ACCESS Success Center (GE Advising in Clark Hall Room 240)
- Student Forms (change of major/minor; excess units; graduation application; substitution; etc.)
- Student Petitions (enroll in excess units; enroll in SJSU Studies course with less than 60 units)
- Graduation Info (graduation evaluators; graduation worksheet; grad workshop; etc.)
- COMM 198 Applied Activity Options
- COMMSA - Study Abroad in COMM
- COMM Central
- Student Resources
- Campus Technology
- Communication Memberships