Computer Engineering Department
Preferred: (408) 924-3828
Wednesday 12 - 2 pm
Office: ENG 283F
- PhD in Computer Science (Informatics), Athens Univ of Econ & Business, 2006
- MSc in Advanced Computing, Imperial College, London, United Kingdom, 2000
- BSc in Computer Science (Informatics), University of Piraeus, Greece, 1998
Dr. Magdalini Eirinaki is an Associate Professor at the Computer Engineering Department of the College of Engineering at SJSU. Her research interests cover the areas of web mining and recommender systems and, in particular, on social network mining, aspect-based recommendations, interactive database exploration, social recommender systems and personalization. Most recently, as member of the SJSU Center of Smart Technology, Computing, and Complex Systems (STCCS), she has been involved in several smart city projects. She has published several papers in refereed journals and international conference proceedings in the above areas (links to selected work is included below).
Currently she serves as the guest editor of the special issue on "Big Data for Smart Cities" of the Big Data Research (BDR) journal, the special issue on “Smart Cities and Connected and Autonomous Vehicles exploiting Distributed Sensor Networks” of the Intl. J. of Distributed Sensor Networks, while she has served as program committee member and reviewer in multiple conferences and journals in the past.
Dr. Eirinaki is currently teaching the CMPE 188 - Machine Learning for Big Data and the CMPE 256 - Large-scale Analytics courses (Spring 2018). She also serves as the Associate Chair of the Computer Engineering Department and is member of the Student Review Evaluation Board University committee and several College and Department committees.
Dr. Eirinaki received the SJSU distinguished faculty mentor award in 2015 and is the recipient of the 2017 Applied Materials Award for Excellence in Teaching.
- (3/2018) Our paper "A Building Permit for Smart Cities: A cloud-based framework" (co-authored with Prof. S. Dhar, Prof. S. Mathur and SJSU students A. Kaley, A. Patel, A. Joshi and D. Shah) is now online via the the Computers, Environment, and Urban Systems journal portal.
- (8/2017) Dr. Eirinaki represented SJSU as a speaker and panelist in the Okayama Information and Communication Symposium on Big Data and Cybersecurity, organized as part of the 60th Anniversary of sister city relationship between Okayama, Japan and San Jose.
- (7/2017) CFP: Special issue on Big Data and Smart Cities, to be published by Elsevier's Big Data Research.