Computer Engineering Department
Preferred: (408) 924-3828
Thursday, 1 - 3 pm
Office: ENG 283F
- PhD in Computer Science (Informatics), Athens Univ of Econ & Business, 2006
- MSc in Advanced Computing, Imperial College, London, United Kingdom, 2000
- BSc in Computer Science (Informatics), University of Piraeus, Greece, 1998
- Diploma in Music (Piano), Greek Ministry of Education, cum laude, 2006
Dr. Magdalini Eirinaki is a Professor at the Computer Engineering Department of the College of Engineering at SJSU and member of the SJSU Center of Smart Technology, Computing, and Complex Systems (STCCS). Her research interests cover the areas of web mining and recommender systems and, in particular, on social network mining, aspect-based recommendations, interactive database exploration, social recommender systems, personalization, and deep learning for recomender systems. Other areas of interest include smart city applications, and educational data analytics. She has published several papers in refereed journals and international conference proceedings in the above areas (links to selected work is included below).
Currently she serves as the guest editor of the special issue on "Big Data for Smart Cities" of the Big Data Research (BDR) journal, while she is serving / has served as program committee member, guest editor, and reviewer in numerous conferences and journals.
Dr. Eirinaki is currently teaching the CMPE 256 - Large-scale Analytics course (Spring 2019). She also serves as the Associate Chair of the Computer Engineering Department and is member of the Student Review Evaluation Board University committee and several College and Department committees.
Dr. Eirinaki is the recipient of the 2019 Newnan Brothers Award for Faculty Excellence, the 2017 Applied Materials Award for Excellence in Teaching and received the SJSU distinguished faculty mentor award in 2015.
- (4/2019) Professor Eirinaki is the recipient of the 2019 Newnan Brothers Award for Faculty Excellence! The award recognizes outstanding achievement by faculty members who demonstrate excellence in some combination of teaching, service to students, and/or research.
- (3/2019) Congratulations to former student Avni Gulati, who is one of the SJSU finalists to participate in the state-wide CSU student research competition this April! College of Engineering has 4 finalists this year!
- (1/2019) Our paper, "With a little help from my friends (and their friends): Influence neighborhoods for social recommendations" (co-authored with Avni Gulati), got accepted in The Web Conference 2019 (WWW 2019).
- (1/2019) We are excited to kick off a new research project on "Anomaly Detection in Active DNS Data" (with Dr. David Anastasiu), funded by Infoblox (co-PI)
- (12/2018) Prof. Eirinaki's interview for the SJSU's Academic Spotlight series.
- (10/2018) Our paper, "Influence propagation for Social Graph-based Recommendations" (co-authored with SJSU student Avni Gulati), appears in Proc. of the IEEE Big Data 2018 Conference.
- (4/2018) Our paper, "Social recommendations for personalized fitness assistance" (co-authored with SJSU students S. Dharia, V. Jain, J. Patel, J. Vora, R. Yamauchi and Dr. I. Varlamis) is now publised in the Personal and Ubiquitous Computing journal.
- (3/2018) Our paper "A Building Permit for Smart Cities: A cloud-based framework" (co-authored with Prof. S. Dhar, Prof. S. Mathur and SJSU students A. Kaley, A. Patel, A. Joshi and D. Shah) is now online via the the Computers, Environment, and Urban Systems journal portal.
- (1/2018) Read our editorial "Recommender Systems for Large-scale Networks: A review of challenges and solutions" (co-authored with Dr. J. Gao, Dr. I. Varlamis and Dr. K. Tserpes) to the special issue we co-edited for the Future Generation Computer Systems journal.