Computer Engineering Department
Preferred: (408) 924-3828
Thursday, 2:30pm - 4:30pm
Office: ENG 283F
- PhD in Computer Science (Informatics), Athens Univ of Econ & Business, 2006
- MSc in Advanced Computing, Imperial College, London, United Kingdom, 2000
- BSc in Computer Science (Informatics), University of Piraeus, Greece, 1998
- Diploma in Music (Piano), Greek Ministry of Education, cum laude, 2006
Dr. Magdalini Eirinaki is a Professor at the Computer Engineering Department of the College of Engineering at SJSU and member of the SJSU Center of Smart Technology, Computing, and Complex Systems (STCCS). Her research interests cover the areas of web mining and recommender systems and, in particular, on social network mining, aspect-based recommendations, interactive database exploration, social recommender systems, personalization, and deep learning for recomender systems. Other areas of interest include smart city applications, and educational data analytics. She has published several papers in refereed journals and international conference proceedings in the above areas (links to selected work is included below).
Currently she serves as the guest editor of the special issue on "Big Data for Smart Cities" of the Big Data Research (BDR) journal, the PC Chair of the BigDataService 2019 Workshop on Smart Cities, while she has served as program committee member, guest editor, and reviewer in multiple conferences and journals in the past.
Dr. Eirinaki is currently teaching the CMPE 188 - Machine Learning for Big Data and the CMPE 256 - Large-scale Analytics courses (Fall 2018). She also serves as the Associate Chair of the Computer Engineering Department and is member of the Student Review Evaluation Board University committee and several College and Department committees.
Dr. Eirinaki received the SJSU distinguished faculty mentor award in 2015 and is the recipient of the 2017 Applied Materials Award for Excellence in Teaching.
- (10/2018) Our paper, "Influence propagation for Social Graph-based Recommendations" (co-authored with SJSU student Avni Gulati), got accepted in the 4th special session on Intelligent Data Mining of the IEEE Big Data 2018 Conference.
- (4/2018) Our paper, "Social recommendations for personalized fitness assistance" (co-authored with SJSU students S. Dharia, V. Jain, J. Patel, J. Vora, R. Yamauchi and Dr. I. Varlamis) is now publised in the Personal and Ubiquitous Computing journal.
- (3/2018) Our paper "A Building Permit for Smart Cities: A cloud-based framework" (co-authored with Prof. S. Dhar, Prof. S. Mathur and SJSU students A. Kaley, A. Patel, A. Joshi and D. Shah) is now online via the the Computers, Environment, and Urban Systems journal portal.
- (1/2018) Read our editorial "Recommender Systems for Large-scale Networks: A review of challenges and solutions" (co-authored with Dr. J. Gao, Dr. I. Varlamis and Dr. K. Tserpes) to the special issue we co-edited for the Future Generation Computer Systems journal.