Mourtos, Nikos J
Professor and Chair, Aerospace Engineering
Preferred: (408) 924-3876
San Jose State University
One Washington Square
San Jose, California 95192-0085
- Ph.D. Aeronautical & Astronautical Engineering (1987), Stanford University.
- ENGINEER Aeronautical & Astronautical Engineering (1983), Stanford University.
- M.S. Aeronautical & Astronautical Engineering (1982), Stanford University.
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering (1980), University of Patras, Greece.
Dr. Mourtos has taught courses in
- Aerospace Engineering: Introduction to Aerospace Engineering, Aerodynamics, Gas Dynamics, Propulsion, Aircraft Design,
- Mechanical Engineering: Mechanics, Dynamics, Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer,
- General Engineering: Introduction to Engineering, Problem-Based, Integrated, Calculus, Physics, and Engineering
- General Education: From Insects to Jumbo-Jets: the Science of Flight.
He served as the Faculty Instructional Development Coordinator for the College of Engineering (1996-2002), a Faculty-in-Residence for Innovative Pedagogy (1998-2002) and the Assistant Director for the Center for Faculty Development and Support at SJSU (2006-2008). He offers teaching effectiveness workshops on topics such as active and cooperative learning, teaching and learning styles, conditions of learning, instructional design, course and program assessment. He is a trained ABET Program Evaluator and serves as a consultant to engineering programs in the U.S. and abroad. He served as the Program Assessment Coordinator for the Aerospace (2002 - 2011) and Mechanical (2002 - 2006) Engineering Programs at SJSU culminating in successful ABET visits in 2005 and 2011. His responsibilities included the design and implementation of a process for assessing the effectiveness of these programs according to ABET 2000 EC requirements.
- Athens Institute for Education & Research (ATINER): Head, Mechanical Engineering Research Unit
- American Society for Engineering Education(ASEE)
- American Institute for Aeronautics & Astronautics (AIAA)
- Society of Automotive Engineering International (SAE)
- Professional & Organizational Development Network in Higher Education (POD)
- Academic Accreditation Unit, College of Engineering, King Abdul Aziz University, Saudi Arabia
SJSU Student Chapter of Sigma Gamma Tau
Aerospace Engineering Honor Society
Advising during the summer: Email for appointment