Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering
M, W 12:15 pm - 1:15 pm
Office Location: Engineering Building 310A
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Texas A&M University, 2012
MS, Mechanical Engineering, Texas A&M University, 2010
B-Tech, Mechanical Engineering, National Institute of Technology (NIT), Calicut, India, 2005
- Engineering Design
- Design Theory & Methodology
- New Product Development, Product Redesign
- Engineering Education
Past Academic Positions:
- Tuskegee University, Tuskegee, AL - Assistant Professor (2014-2016)
- Georgia Institute of Technology - Post doctoral researcher & part-time instructor (2012-2014)
- Texas A&M University - Instructor (Senior Design) (2012)
Most Recent Journal Publications:
(For a complete list, please visit the link below)
- Viswanathan, V. , Tomko. M. & Linsey, J., 2016, “A Study on the Effects of Example Familiarity and Modality on Design Fixation,” Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing (AI EDAM) Special Issue on Design, Computing and Cognition, 30, pp. 171-184, DOI:10.1017/ S0890060416000056.
- Viswanathan, V., Atilola, O., Esposito, N. and Linsey, J., 2014, “A Study on the Role of Physical Models in the Mitigation of Design Fixation,” Journal of Engineering Design DOI: 10.1080/09544828.2014.885934.
- Viswanathan, V., and Linsey, J., 2014, “Spanning the Complexity Chasm: A Research Approach to Move from Simple to Complex Engineering Systems,” Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing (AI EDAM) Special Issue on Design of Complex Engineered Systems, 28, pp. 369-384.
- Lucero, B., Viswanathan, V., Linsey, J., and Turner, C., 2014, “Identifying Critical Functions for Use Across Engineering Design Domains,” ASME Transactions: Journal of Mechanical Design, 136 (12), pp. 121101, DOI: 10.1115/1.4028280.
- Viswanathan, V., and Linsey, J., 2013, " The Role of Sunk Cost in Engineering Idea Generation: An Experimental Investigation", ASME Transactions: Journal of Mechanical Design 135(12), pp. 121002, DOI: 10.1115/1.4025290.
Courses at SJSU:
- ME 101 - Dynamics
- ME 136 - Design for Manufacturing & Assembly (coordinator)
- ME 154 - Mechanical Design I
- ME 195 A &B - Senior Design Project
- ME 20 - Design & Graphics
List of publications: Click Here
Visit Dr. Viswanathan's lab webpage here.