Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering
Preferred: (408) 924-3841
T, Th 9:15am - 10:15 am & W 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Office Location: Engineering Building 310E
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Texas A&M University, 2012
MS, Mechanical Engineering, Texas A&M University, 2010
B-Tech, Mechanical Engineering, National Institute of Technology (NIT), Calicut, India, 2005
- Engineering Design
- Design Theory & Methodology
- New Product Development, Product Redesign
- Engineering Education
Past Academic Positions:
- Tuskegee University, Tuskegee, AL - Assistant Professor (2014-2016)
- Georgia Institute of Technology - Post doctoral researcher & part-time instructor (2012-2014)
- Texas A&M University - Instructor (Senior Design) (2012)
Most Recent Publications:
(For a complete list, please visit the link below)
Zaidi, S., Huynh, A., Thach, P., Rubio, I., Patel, H.., and Viswanathan, V., 2019, “Design and Characterization of an Automated Assistive Knee Brace for Leg Muscle Rehabilitation,” ASME's International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (IMECE 2019), Salt Lake City, UT.
Dei Rossi, J., Keles, O., and Viswanathan, V., 2019, “Fused Deposition Modeling with Added Vibrations: A Parametric Study on the Accuracy of Printed Parts,” ASME's International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (IMECE 2019), Salt Lake City, UT.
Camburn, B., Viswanathan, V., Linsey, J., Jensen, D., Otto, K. and Wood, K., 2017, “Prototyping: State-of-the-art in Techniques, Methods, and Design Science,” Design Science, 3(13), DOI: 10.1017/dsj.2017.10.
Viswanathan, V., and Solomon, J., 2018, “A Study on the Student Success in a Blended Model Engineering Classroom,” ASEE Annual Conference, Salt Lake City, UT.
- Viswanathan, V. , Tomko. M. & Linsey, J., 2016, “A Study on the Effects of Example Familiarity and Modality on Design Fixation,” Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing (AI EDAM) Special Issue on Design, Computing and Cognition, 30, pp. 171-184, DOI:10.1017/ S0890060416000056.
Courses at SJSU:
- ME 20 - Design & Graphics
- ME 101 - Dynamics
- ME 136 - Design for Manufacturing & Assembly (coordinator)
- ME 154 - Mechanical Design I
- ME 195 A &B - Senior Design Project
- ME 256 - Product Design
List of publications: Click Here
Visit Dr. Viswanathan's lab webpage here.