Family Nurse Practitioner
units to degree
tuition fee ◊*
◊ Fees are effective Fall 2023. Fees are subject to review & change.
For more information, please visit:
SJSU Degree Catalog
The San Jose State Valley Foundation School of Nursing offers a Master of Science,
Nursing, concentration in Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP). The program focuses on
the theoretical and scientific basis for the diagnosis and treatment of common illness,
as well as health, teaching, counseling and preventive services.
Emphasis is placed upon advanced clinical skills, including history-taking and physical examination, health screening, management of common illness, and techniques of prevention and risk reduction.
Join us for Graduate Program Advising.
Check dates HERE
|Sign up for email notifications||Program Website|
- Comprehensive Curriculum
The FNP program includes core courses which focus on theoretical/conceptual foundations, evidence-based nursing practice, leadership and policy/advocacy issues in professional nursing. The curriculum focuses on the theory and practice of advanced practice nursing care in primary (and some secondary) settings. The majority of coursework is offered one day a week using a hybrid format. Students have a three-semester clinical preceptorship which will include primary/adult care, geriatrics, pediatrics, and women’s health. Computer and internet literacy is required.
- Professional Credentials
The San José State Family Nurse Practitioner option meets criteria specified in Section 1484, Title XVI of
the California Administrative Code and is fully approved by the California BRN. Graduates are eligible for
and encouraged to seek national certification by taking either the American Nurses Credentialing Center
(ANCC) FNP exam or the American Academy of Nurse Practitioner (AANP) exam.
- Job Opportunities
Nurse practitioners are in increasingly high demand due to changes in the health care system resulting from the Affordable Care Act. According to the American Nurses Association, approximately 60 - 80% of primary and preventive care can be performed by nurse practitioners. The growing emphasis on prevention and public health will offer excellent job opportunities for FNP in the coming years.
Applying to the Program
Formal admission to San José State office of graduate studies as well as the Valley Foundation School of Nursing is required for entry into the program. The program is offered as a full-time cohort model with admission each fall semester. The next family nurse practitioner graduate program will start in fall 2023.
- Apply to the San José State University office of graduate studies with a declared objective of Master of Science, Family Nurse Practitioner concentration. Cal State Apply Applications will be accepted October 1, 2022 through March 15, 2023. Applicants must send a copy of official transcripts to the Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations (GAPE).
- The applicant will be asked to upload the following documents:
- Current resume or curriculum vita
- Statement of professional goals, outlining your goals as a nurse practitioner in seeking
- Two professional or academic references
- Official transcripts
- Copy of a current, unrestricted California Registered Nursing License
- Copy of Public Health Nursing Certificate if applicant has one.
- Once students are formally accepted into the family nurse practitioner program, additional health documentation will required which is administered through a third party document tracker. A non-refundable $250 program fee will also be assessed.
*Note: Calstate Apply, NursingCas, and third party document trackers have additional fees.
Family Nurse Practitioner Course Sequence (PDF)
Contact Program Coordinator:
Dorothy Moore, DNP, FNP-C, PMHNP-BC: firstname.lastname@example.org
Arlene Spilker, DNP, RN, FNP-C, CNE: email@example.com
For you to participate and receive credit from online classes at San Jose State University, your state of residence must have a reciprocity agreement in place with CSU. This agreement provides online students with consumer protection. For a complete list of participating states and details on the regulation, please visit sjsu.edu/extend/state-auth/.