Fletcher, Shaun J.
- Assistant Professor, Public Relations
- Faculty Advisor, Public Relations Student Society of America
- Academic Advisory Board Member, The Institute for the Study of Sport, Society and Social Change
- Executive Advisor, Diversity and Inclusion, Public Relations Society of America - Silicon Valley
- Intergroup Dialogue Facilitator, Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Doctorate of Philosophy, Howard University, 2009
- Master of Arts, University of Central Florida, 2005
- Bachelor of Science, San José State University, 2003
Dr. Shaun J. Fletcher joined the School of Journalism and Mass Communications at San José State University in Fall 2018 as a Professor of Public Relations. He serves as the Faculty Advisor for the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) - SJSU chapter, as well as sits on the Academic Advisory Board for The Institute for the Study of Sport, Society and Social Change. Dr. Fletcher has communications experience with corporate and non-profit organizations for whom he has provided counsel on strategic messaging, executive communications, employee engagement and brand management and development.
Prior to joining San José State, Shaun served as the Manager of Internal Communications at Apple for the Retail Learning and Development organization. In this role, he provided overall strategic communications and marketing plan development, connecting the departments mission to its over 65,000 retail employees globally. Shaun concurrently served as a consultant and mentor for Apple’s multimillion dollar partnership with the Thurgood Marshall College Fund, bringing students from Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) to Apple for an immersive apprenticeship experience.
Shaun started his career with the Center for Health Futures within the Florida Hospital health system, working to resolve issues related to cultural competency. His research has included political discourse and rhetorical analysis, as well as cultural communication within health care as it relates to health disparities among African-American men.
Dr. Fletcher also recently established a private consultancy where he works with leaders and organizations around cultural diversity, resilience, and communications aimed at progressing the employment diversity disparity in Silicon Valley.