Publications & Presentations
1. “The role of external technology scouting in inbound open innovation generation: Evidence from high-technology industries”. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management. Vol 68, Issue 6, December 2021. pp1558-1569. doi: 10.1109/TEM.2019.2956069
2. "Theorising Business Model Innovation: An Integrated Literature Review". Australia Journal of Management. Vol. 46, No. 3. August 2021 pp. 548–577.
3. “Digital Health Innovation, Informatics, Opportunity and Challenges”. IEEE Engineering Management Review Vol. 49, No. 2. pp81-88. doi: 10.1109/EMR.2021.3054330. June 2021.
4. “PhiChem: An entrepreneurship case study of a hidden champion in China”. IEEE Engineering Management Review. Vol 48, No. 4. Dec 2020. p92-101. 10.1109/EMR.2020.2993240.
5. “Cross-National Complementarity of Technology Push, Demand Pull, and Manufacturing Push Policies: The Case of Photovoltaics”. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management. Vol 66, No. 3. August 2019. (This paper received Best Paper Publication Award from IEEE TEM in 2020).
6. “Internationalization of Chinese R&D”. In Xiaolan Fu, Jin Chen, Bruce McKern (Eds). Oxford Handbook of China Innovation. Chapter 5. pp486-501. Oct 2021. Oxford University Press. Oxford. DOI:10.1093/oxfordhb/9780190900533.001.0001.
7. “Open Innovation in the Medical Device Industry”, In Tugrul Daim, Alex Brem (Eds) Managing Medical Technological Innovations. Chapter 7. Jan 2020 DOI: 10.1142/9789811204692_0007
8. “An Indirect Metric of Frugal Innovation From Product, Open, Cost and Sustainable Innovation Scales” In McMurray, A., & de Waal, G. (Eds.) Frugal innovation: A cross global research companion. (Eds). Chapter 15. Pp 241-257. London. Routledge. 2019. DOIhttps://doi.org/10.4324/9780429025679
9. “Understanding the artificial intelligence business ecosystem”. IEEE Engineering Management Review. November 2018. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/8540793
10. “Innovation in the local context: A case study of BYD in China”. International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management. Vol. 15. No. 2. pp.1-23. March 2018.
11. “A Comparison of International R&D Strategies of Chinese Companies in Europe and the U.S.” International Journal of Technology Management. Vol. 74, Nos. 1/2/3/4. pp. 185-213. June 2017.
12. “The effect of R&D alliance diversity and network position on firm innovation performance: Evidence from the emerging biotechnology industry”. Science, Technology, and Society 22:3 (2017): 1–18. September.
13. Opportunity co-creation: From university R&D to new ventures. CEIBS Business Review. July 2017. pp.36-42. (Paper published in Chinese)
14. “Regional Economic Development ―A Survey of Theories in the Past Two Centuries (1800-2000)”. Asian Research Policy. Vol. 7. Issue. 2. pp 17-32. 2016.
15. “Technology acquisition through exploration alliance: network positions and technology diversity”. International Journal of Technology Intelligence and Planning. Vol. 11. No. 2. pp 93-116. 2016.
16. “Towards a Framework of the Process of Open Innovation: Case of Acclarent in the Medical Device Industry.” International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management. Vol. 11, No. 5. pp.1-15. 2014
17. "When Claims to IP Are Involved, How Generous Must a Social Entrepreneur Be? The Case of Nutriset" in Charles Wankel & Larry E. Pate (Eds.) Social Entrepreneurship as a Catalyst for Social Change. Pages 397-409. Information Age Publishing. 2013.
18. “Prior experience, social network, and levels of entrepreneurial intentions.” Management Research Review, Vol. 35, No.10. pp.945-957. 2012
19. "Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainable Development in China: Literature Review and Case Analysis." Journal of Supply Chain and Operations Management, Vol.10, No. 1. 2012
20. Co-editor, IEEE: Advances in Technology and Innovation Management" (Volume I) 2012. IEEE Technology Management Council.
21. “Hierarchical Segmentation of R&D Process and Intellectual Property Protection: Evidence from Multinational R&D labs in China”. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Vol.57, No.1, pp.9-21. 2010
22. "Empirical Disaggregation of Social Networks: A Study of Ethnic Professional Associations and Entrepreneurship in Silicon Valley." Journal of Small Business & Entrepreneurship, Vol.23, No.4, pp. 509-526. 2010.
23. “Knowledge diffusion from MNC R&D Labs in developing countries: Evidence from interaction between MNC R&D labs and local universities in Beijing”, International Journal of Technology Management. Vol. 51, Nos. 2/3/4, pp.364-386. 2010.
24. ‘Historical, Entrepreneurial and Supply Chain Management Perspectives on the Semiconductor Industry’. International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management, Vol.7, No.1. pp.1-18. 2010.
25. “How Should Nutriset Deal With Intellectual Property?”. CasePlace.Org, The Aspen Institute Center for Business Education. 2010. available online at http://www.caseplace.org/d.asp?d=4627.
26. “Globalization of entrepreneurship – Evidence from a survey of Chinese and Indian immigrant professionals in Silicon Valley”, Journal of Management of Innovation and Entrepreneurship. vol. 4. pp.36-64. (in Chinese) 2009.
27. ‘The government’s multirole and a resulting importance of guanxi in the Chinese software industry’, International Journal of Technology Marketing, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp.258–275. 2008.
28. ‘Managing Intellectual Property in China: Case of the Semiconductor Industry’, in Greater China's Innovative Capacities: Progress and Challenges, The Walter H. Shorenstein Asia-Pacific Research Center, Stanford University, & Brookings Institution Press. 2008.
29. ‘China’s Ambition to be a Technological Power’, in G. Wang & J. Wong (Eds.), Interpreting China's Development. World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte Ltd. 2007.
30. ‘China’s Higher Education: Explosive Expansion Coming to an End’, in G. Wang & J. Wong (Eds.), Interpreting China's Development. World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte Ltd. 2007.
31. AnnaLee Saxenian, Xiaohong Quan ‘Guanxi and Government: The Chinese Software Industry in Transition’, In S. Commander (Ed.), The Software Industry in Emerging Markets: 73-132. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing Limited. 2005.
32. AnnaLee Saxenian, Yasuyuki Motoyama, Xiaohong Quan. (2002) Local and Global Networks of Immigrant Professionals in Silicon Valley. Public Policy Institute of California.
33. ‘Reconstruction of Economic Development Model’, Sustainable Development –Choice at the turn of the Centuries, Chapter 5, 1997. Beijing. (in Chinese)
34. ‘Research on the Planning of Tourist Resources Development in Jinggangshan Scenic Resort’, Resource Development & Market, 16(5). 2000 (in Chinese).
35. ‘Comparative Advantage of Beijing's Industrial Structure’, China Industrial Economy, No.11. 1999. (in Chinese)
36. ‘Analysis of Education Factor in Regional Innovation and Its Policy Implications’, Chinese Geography Science, No.4. 1999.
37. ‘Coordinated Development Pattern of Beijing and Tianjin’, Economic Geography, No.2. 1999. (in Chinese)
38. ‘Analysis of Education Factor in Regional Innovation and Its Policy Implications’, China Soft Science, No.11. 1999. (in Chinese)
39. ‘Transportation System Planning Strategy for Beijing’, Sustainable Beijing, Chapter 9, 1999. Beijing. (in Chinese)
40. ‘Research on the Reform of Administrative Territorial Division in China’, Chinese Territory, No.2. 1998. (in Chinese)
Please follow the link to view her Publications.