State Authorization for Distance Education

Distance education authorization only impacts prospective students who are interested in completing a SJSU degree or certificate program while simultaneously residing in another state.

The list below indicates state authorization status for each state in relation to online programs offered by SJSU. 

State Authorization Status

ALABAMAAuthorized or Exempt

ALASKAAuthorized or Exempt

ARIZONAAuthorized or Exempt

ARKANSASAuthorized or Exempt

Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board certification does not constitute an endorsement of any institution, course or degree program. Such certification merely indicates that certain minimum standards have been met under the rules and regulations of institutional certification as defined in Arkansas Code §6-61-301.

CALIFORNIAN/A - Home state

COLORADOAuthorized or Exempt


CONNECTICUTAuthorized Or Exempt

DELAWAREAuthorized or Exempt

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIAExemption For Purely Online Programs

FLORIDAAuthorized or Exempt

GEORGIAIn Progress

After exhausting the below CSU Student Internal Complaint Process, Georgia residents may also file a complaint with the State of Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission at the following website:

HAWAIIAuthorized or Exempt

IDAHOExemption for purely online programs

ILLINOISAuthorized or Exempt

INDIANAAuthorized Or Exempt

IOWAAuthorized or Exempt

KANSASAuthorized or Exempt

KENTUCKYAuthorized or Exempt

LOUISIANAAuthorized or Exempt

MAINEAuthorized or Exempt

MARYLANDAuthorized or Exempt

(1) Information on registration with the Commission can be found on the following website:
(2) The process for Maryland students to make complaints can be found on the following website:

MASSACHUSETTSExemption For Purely Online Programs

MICHIGANExemption For Purely Online Programs


San Jose State University is registered with the office pursuant to sections 136A.61 to 136A.71. Registration is not an endorsement of the institution. Credits earned at the institution may not transfer to all other institutions.

MISSISSIPPIExemption for purely online programs

MISSOURIAuthorized or Exempt

MONTANAExemption for purely online programs

NEBRASKAAuthorized or Exempt

NEVADAAuthorized or Exempt

NEW HAMPSHIREAuthorized or Exempt

NEW JERSEYAuthorized or Exempt

NEW MEXICOAuthorized Or Exempt

NEW YORKExemption For Purely Online Programs

NORTH CAROLINA   Authorized or Exempt

NORTH DAKOTAExemption for purely online programs

OHIOExemption for purely online programs

OKLAHOMAExemption for purely online programs

OREGONAuthorized or Exempt

According to the Oregon Administrative Rules (OAR 583-030-0035(18)(c)), after classes begin for a term, an Oregon student who withdraws from a course is eligible for a partial refund through the middle week of the term. Refunds shall be based on unused instructional time and shall be prorated on a weekly basis for schools using a semester calendar.

PENNSYLVANIAExemption for purely online programs

RHODE ISLANDAuthorized or Exempt

SOUTH CAROLINAAuthorized or Exempt

SOUTH DAKOTAAuthorized or Exempt

TENNESSEEAuthorized or Exempt

TEXASExemption for purely online programs

UTAHAuthorized or Exempt

VERMONTAuthorized or Exempt

VIRGINIAAuthorized or Exempt

WASHINGTONAuthorized or Exempt

WEST VIRGINIAAuthorized or Exempt

WISCONSINAuthorized or Exempt

WYOMINGAuthorized or Exempt


AMERICAN SAMOAExemption for fully online programs

FEDERATED STATES OF MICRONESIAExemption for fully online programs

GUAMExemption for fully online/hybrid programs

MARSHALL ISLANDSExemption for fully online programs

NORTHERN MARIANA ISLANDSExemption for fully online/hybrid programs

PALAUExemption for fully online programs

PUERTO RICOExemption for fully online programs



Authorized or Exempt includes authorization, exemption, or no licensure requirement in the state.

In Progress - Application completion in progress.


San Jose' State University is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).  Students residing outside of California (while attending SJSU's distance education programs) wishing to resolve a grievance should contact the appropriate office (Bursar's Office, Financial Aid Office).  Please visit the CSU State Authorization, CSU Internal Complaint Process, and Consumer Protection State Contacts pages for additional information.

Contact Us

If you have questions regarding state authorization, please contact Namrata Shukla,