PETER ANTONY MASTER, Composer
Ph.D. in Applied Linguistics (1987), University of California, Los Angeles
M.A. in English/TESL (1977), San Francisco State University
B.A. in Religious Studies (1970), University of California, Santa Barbara
- Research in English for Specific Purposes (2005). In Hinkel, E. (Ed.). Handbook of research in second language teaching and learning (pp. 99-116). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- The impact of information structure on ESL/EFL learner's accurate use of articles (2005). In Holten, C. & Frodesen, J. (Eds.), The power of context in language teaching and learning (pp. 91-106). Boston: Heinle & Heinle.
- Grammatical problem solving in the MA TESOL pedagogical grammar course (2003). In Liu, D. & Master, P. (Eds.) Grammar teaching in teacher education (pp. 137-149). Alexandria, VA: TESOL.
- Relative clause reduction in technical research articles (2002). In Hinkel, E. & Fotos, S. (Eds.) New Perspectives on Grammar Teaching in Second Language Classrooms (pp. 201-231). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Inanimate subjects with active verbs in scientific research articles (2001). In Hewings, M. (Ed.). Academic writing in context: Implications and applications. Papers in honour of Tony Dudley-Evans (pp. 169-181). Birmingham, UK: The University of Birmingham Press.
- Grammar in Content-Based Instruction (2000). In Kasper, L. (Ed.) Content-Based College ESL Instruction (pp. 93-106). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- ESP teacher education in the U.S. (1997). In R. Howard & G. Brown (Eds.) Teacher Education for LSP (Languages for Specific Purposes) (pp. 22-44). Clevedon, UK: Multilingual Matters.
- Consciousness raising and article pedagogy (1995). In Belcher, D. and Braine, G. (Eds.) Academic Writing in a Second Language: Essays on Research and Pedagogy (pp. 183-204). Norwood, N.J.: Ablex Publishing Co.
- The effect of systematic instruction on learning the English article system (1994). In Odlin, T. (Ed.) Perspectives on Pedagogical Grammar (pp. 229-252). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- A contrastive study of determiner usage in EST research articles (2013). International Journal of Language Studies 7(1):33-58.
- Article errors and article choices (2007). CATESOL Journal 19,1:107-131.
- Acquisition of the zero and null articles in English (2003). Issues in Applied Linguistics 14,1:3-20. [Note: The official publication year is 2003, but the issue was not published until 2007.]
- Information structure and article pedagogy (2002). System 30,3:331-348.
- Positive and negative aspects of the dominance of English (1998). TESOL Quarterly 32, 4:716-727.
- The English article system: acquisition, function, and pedagogy (1997). System 25,2:215-232.
- On-line nominal compound formation in an experimental pidgin (1993). Journal of Pragmatics 20,4:359-375.
- Inanimate subjects with active verbs in scientific prose (1991). English for Specific Purposes 10,1:15-33.
- Teaching the English articles as a binary system (1990). TESOL Quarterly 24, 2:461-478.
- The experimental creation of a pidgin language (1989, with J. Schumann & M.E. Sokolik). Journal of Pidgin and Creole Languages 4,1:37-63.
- Generic the in Scientific American (1987). English for Specific Purposes 6, 3:165-186.
- The dynamics of classroom observation: Sharing the Power (1984). TESOL Quarterly 18, 2:342-344.
- The etiquette of observing (1983). TESOL Quarterly 17, 3:497-501.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Advisory Board member, English for Specific Purposes
- Co-Editor (1994-2001), English for Specific Purposes
- Editor (1981-2004), "English for Specific Purposes," CATESOL News
- Additional Reader: TESOL Quarterly, Language Learning, Studies in Second Language Acquisition, Modern Language Journal, Issues in Applied Linguistics, Canadian Modern Language Review, and TESL-EJ.
Peter Master has lectured, consulted, and conducted workshops on English for Specific Purposes, pedagogical grammar, and general language education in Colombia, France, Italy, Kazakhstan, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Ukraine, and the former Yugoslavia.